Rapper breaks onto the UM scene

Donnis, an Atlanta rapper, will be the opening act for Homecoming 2010. Courtesy of Chris Phelps

The role of an opening act for any concert is typically straightforward: Get the crowd energized for the headliner.

At the 2010 Homecoming Concert, however, no fan in attendance will be more excited than Atlanta rapper Donnis, chosen as the opener for the biggest night of the year at the University of Miami.

“When I was approached, I didn’t know what to think,” said Donnis, whose real name is Ladonnis Crump. “I couldn’t believe it. This is one of my biggest concerts ever, my first concert at a university, and I’m geeked up.”

Crump’s rise to fame began while performing in Japan, where he was stationed with the U.S. Air Force. After releasing his 2009 mixtape “Diary of an ATL Brave,” backed by streetwear clothing label 10 Deep, Crump graced the cover of XXL magazine as one of 2010’s hip-hop “Freshmen of the Year.” DJ A-Trak, so impressed with Crump’s single “Gone,” signed the 26 year old to his label, Fool’s Gold Records, for a one-single deal.

Recent opening acts for the Homecoming Concert, including The Wailers and Robert Randolph, have impressed the crowd with tremendous performances. Crump’s close friends, hip-hop duo and 2008 Homecoming opener Kidz in the Hall, have already spoken with the Atlanta native about his biggest show yet.

“We’re all so excited for this,” Crump said. “We’re doing it big, hoping for some special guests, light shows, everything. We’re rehearsing for two or three weeks straight for this one.”

The headliner for the homecoming show will be announced this week. Crump, as one of the lucky few “in the know,” expressed his thoughts on opening for such a highly regarded act.

“Very few artists or groups have ever reached legendary status, but this is one of them,” Crump said. “It’s truly an honor to open this concert, it’s going to be a crazy night.”

Though a football game against Maryland and the annual Homecoming parade will draw countless former and current Hurricanes, the most memorable part of every Homecoming is the concert on the green. This year’s show is scheduled for the night of Nov. 5.

“Donnis has proven to be a rising hip-hop star, and his skills and command of the stage will be on full display as he opens the biggest show this University has ever seen,” said Max Winik, large venue concert chair for Hurricane Productions.

Camron Ghorbi may be contacted at cghorbi@themiamihurricane.com.

Camron Ghorbi

Staff EDGE Writer

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Rapper breaks onto the UM scene”

1. djy77 says:

This dude is amazing! Everybody wants to rock with him. Saw him with Ronson too.

@MiamiMusicScene, “tonight” is dope, but love me “for the kill”

2. MiamiMusicScene says:

Just saw Donnis open for Chiddy Bang, pretty great. I know he’s going out with Matt & Kim too. Love his song, “Tonight.”

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...