News Briefs 9/13

Career Expo

The Fall Career Expo will take place Wednesday from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. at the BankUnited Center. All students are invited to attend regardless of major or year in school. Professional dress is required. For a list of organizations that will be recruiting at the expo, visit miami.edu/careerexpo.

Panel on Crisis in the gulf

A panel discussion on the Deepwater Horizon oil spill will take place Tuesday from 7-8:30 p.m. in the School of Architecture’s Glasgow Hall. Experts from the University of Miami, Florida International University and Miami-Dade College will discuss the gulf oil spill and the clean-up process, its long-term effects on the environment and the spill’s impact on South Florida.

E-mail worm

On September 9, a malicious e-mail worm was identified in the UMail system. Information Technology began implementing measures to suppress the spread of the e-mail as soon as they could pinpoint the unique and identifiable traits of the communication. The e-mail wreaked havoc nationally.  The virus, named “here you have,” acts like a Trojan horse, promising free downloads only to spam the same e-mail to everyone in the recipient’s address book, crippling e-mail servers.

Unlike many e-mail services across the country, UMail was uninterrupted and email delivery flowed normally throughout the entire event.

Parker Davis may be contacted at pdavis@themiamihurricane.com.

Parker Davis

Assistant News Editor

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...