News Briefs 9/13

Career Expo

The Fall Career Expo will take place Wednesday from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. at the BankUnited Center. All students are invited to attend regardless of major or year in school. Professional dress is required. For a list of organizations that will be recruiting at the expo, visit miami.edu/careerexpo.

Panel on Crisis in the gulf

A panel discussion on the Deepwater Horizon oil spill will take place Tuesday from 7-8:30 p.m. in the School of Architecture’s Glasgow Hall. Experts from the University of Miami, Florida International University and Miami-Dade College will discuss the gulf oil spill and the clean-up process, its long-term effects on the environment and the spill’s impact on South Florida.

E-mail worm

On September 9, a malicious e-mail worm was identified in the UMail system. Information Technology began implementing measures to suppress the spread of the e-mail as soon as they could pinpoint the unique and identifiable traits of the communication. The e-mail wreaked havoc nationally.  The virus, named “here you have,” acts like a Trojan horse, promising free downloads only to spam the same e-mail to everyone in the recipient’s address book, crippling e-mail servers.

Unlike many e-mail services across the country, UMail was uninterrupted and email delivery flowed normally throughout the entire event.

Parker Davis may be contacted at pdavis@themiamihurricane.com.

Parker Davis

Assistant News Editor

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

The Miami Hurricanes, still waiting for a starting quarterback to be named, are in the top 25 again. ...

Happy first day of school for everyone out there, including the University of Miami students. We jus ...