News Briefs 9/13

Career Expo

The Fall Career Expo will take place Wednesday from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. at the BankUnited Center. All students are invited to attend regardless of major or year in school. Professional dress is required. For a list of organizations that will be recruiting at the expo, visit miami.edu/careerexpo.

Panel on Crisis in the gulf

A panel discussion on the Deepwater Horizon oil spill will take place Tuesday from 7-8:30 p.m. in the School of Architecture’s Glasgow Hall. Experts from the University of Miami, Florida International University and Miami-Dade College will discuss the gulf oil spill and the clean-up process, its long-term effects on the environment and the spill’s impact on South Florida.

E-mail worm

On September 9, a malicious e-mail worm was identified in the UMail system. Information Technology began implementing measures to suppress the spread of the e-mail as soon as they could pinpoint the unique and identifiable traits of the communication. The e-mail wreaked havoc nationally.  The virus, named “here you have,” acts like a Trojan horse, promising free downloads only to spam the same e-mail to everyone in the recipient’s address book, crippling e-mail servers.

Unlike many e-mail services across the country, UMail was uninterrupted and email delivery flowed normally throughout the entire event.

Parker Davis may be contacted at pdavis@themiamihurricane.com.

Parker Davis

Assistant News Editor

One by one, they stepped up to the scale. First-round picks and long-shot prospects alike. Here, the ...

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

Miami Northwestern senior Nigel Bethel, a 5-11, 160-pounder who chose the Hurricanes over Central Fl ...

The University of Louisville coaching staff must have been puzzled watching tape of the Miami Hurric ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The Miami men's basketball team returns home at 8 p.m. Wednesday to battle Louisville at the so ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team has earned the first ACC Player of the ...

The Miami women's basketball team will take on fourth-ranked Louisville Thursday at 11 a.m., on ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...