News Briefs 9/13

Career Expo

The Fall Career Expo will take place Wednesday from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. at the BankUnited Center. All students are invited to attend regardless of major or year in school. Professional dress is required. For a list of organizations that will be recruiting at the expo, visit miami.edu/careerexpo.

Panel on Crisis in the gulf

A panel discussion on the Deepwater Horizon oil spill will take place Tuesday from 7-8:30 p.m. in the School of Architecture’s Glasgow Hall. Experts from the University of Miami, Florida International University and Miami-Dade College will discuss the gulf oil spill and the clean-up process, its long-term effects on the environment and the spill’s impact on South Florida.

E-mail worm

On September 9, a malicious e-mail worm was identified in the UMail system. Information Technology began implementing measures to suppress the spread of the e-mail as soon as they could pinpoint the unique and identifiable traits of the communication. The e-mail wreaked havoc nationally.  The virus, named “here you have,” acts like a Trojan horse, promising free downloads only to spam the same e-mail to everyone in the recipient’s address book, crippling e-mail servers.

Unlike many e-mail services across the country, UMail was uninterrupted and email delivery flowed normally throughout the entire event.

Parker Davis may be contacted at pdavis@themiamihurricane.com.

Parker Davis

Assistant News Editor

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...