‘Lebanon’ emotionally brutalizing, brilliant

Lebanon, a portrait of Israeli soldiers during the 1982 invasion. Courtesy of Sony Pictures Classics.

“Lebanon” is not a film that is easy to experience.

As a war movie, it is fantastic, echoing the claustrophobia of “Das Boot” and the futility of “Apocalypse Now,” but it succeeds even more when it is viewed as a film about relationships, namely the bond between a small team of Israeli soldiers in a tank on the first day of the 1982 Lebanon War.

The soldiers in the tank, codenamed “Rhino,” are all young and desperate to survive the war. For those who do live to see the end of the conflict, many of the lingering effects are psychological and emotional.

It is fairly obvious why the Lebanon War has been such fertile ground for Israeli cinema. “Lebanon” follows the same vein of “Waltz with Bashir” and “Beaufort,” two other recent, introspective films about soldiers in the conflict.

Director Samuel Maoz’s semi-autobiographical film spares nothing regarding the horrifying realities of war; half-maimed bodies, dying animals, promises of torture and the emotional strain placed on both ordinary soldiers and innocent civilians are all shown in vivid fashion.

The film doesn’t proselytize or take sides, rather it focuses on the emotional hell of the soldiers, some of whom are weeks from being discharged, and the stress, turmoil and uncertainty of their existence both in and out of the tank.

It isn’t always easy to tell the soldiers apart, but the performances are uniformly excellent and the lack of distinction adds to the “everyman” quality of the film; the soldiers could have been from any country in any conflict. In a way, Lebanon is a politicized take on Jean-Paul Sartre’s “No Exit:” hell is the other soldiers, complete with fraying nerves and uncertain survival.

“Lebanon” is emotionally brutalizing and extremely visceral. It is not enjoyable by most measures, but it is an incredible experience and a brilliant film.

Sarah B. Pilchick may be contacted at spilchick@themiamihurricane.com.

Rating: 4/4 stars
Starring: Oshri Cohen, Michael Moshonov, Itay Tiran
Directed By: Samuel Maoz
MPAA Rating: R

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...