Student Government Special Column

ICEE Flavor Announced & Pietro Bortoletto Confirmed as New SG Vice-President

By Ryan Aquilina

Student Government senate held its first meeting of the year on September 1st, confirming Pietro Bortoletto as the new Student Government vice-president in a vote of 24-2. Many SG executive members showed up to speak on his behalf and after the almost unanimous vote, Pietro Bortoletto was sworn in.

Tickets sold out in just hours to Student Government’s first event as part of the new ‘Canes Nights program, sending 150 students to the Marlins game on September 4th. Following the game, students shared the field with Pitbull and Fat Joe for a post-game concert. The next ‘Canes Nights event is currently being planned.

The launch of the Ibis Ride, a long standing SG initiative, will be taking place on September 16th. Plans for an exciting first night are in the works.

Student Government is expecting many exciting things in the upcoming weeks, including finalizing plans for a Fresh Farmer’s Market on the University Green, bringing fresh, locally-grown fruit and vegetables for sale to students. Another SG initiative, a UM iPhone and BlackBerry application, is complete and will be released soon.

And last, but certainly not least, after hundreds of votes were cast, the students have had their say: Pink Lemonade will be the fourth ICEE flavor available in the C-Store, a Dining Services and Student Government collaboration that both Mel Tenen, Assistant Vice President of Dining and Vending Services, and SG President Christina Farmer are very excited about. Expect to see the two ICEE machines installed early next month.

Follow SG on Facebook and Twitter (UMiamiSG) and visit the SG website at www.miami.edu/SG

Ryan Aquilina is the Press Secretary for Student Government and can be reached at r.aquilina@umiami.edu

SG Dates to Remember:

September 7th – Last day to file for Senate candidacy

September 16th – First night of the Ibis Ride, a long-term SG initiative

September 20-22 – Fall 2010 elections in the UC Breezeway

Every Wednesday at 4:30 p.m. in the UC Ballrooms – Open Senate Meetings

Poll:

How would you feel about Student Government working to bring Free Legal Services to students?

It might be beneficial to have free legal services.

I would definitely use free legal services if offered.

No way. Why do we need free legal services?

I wouldn’t use the legal services, but hey, they’re free!

Ryan Aquilina

Letter to the Editor

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Student Government Special Column”

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

A few quick thoughts (or second thoughts) after 14th-ranked UM’s 52-30 win against Toledo on Saturda ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its opening weekend of competition at the All-Florida ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Sunday, Sinead Lohan became the first person in Miami women's tennis history to win the singles ...