Student Government Special Column

ICEE Flavor Announced & Pietro Bortoletto Confirmed as New SG Vice-President

By Ryan Aquilina

Student Government senate held its first meeting of the year on September 1st, confirming Pietro Bortoletto as the new Student Government vice-president in a vote of 24-2. Many SG executive members showed up to speak on his behalf and after the almost unanimous vote, Pietro Bortoletto was sworn in.

Tickets sold out in just hours to Student Government’s first event as part of the new ‘Canes Nights program, sending 150 students to the Marlins game on September 4th. Following the game, students shared the field with Pitbull and Fat Joe for a post-game concert. The next ‘Canes Nights event is currently being planned.

The launch of the Ibis Ride, a long standing SG initiative, will be taking place on September 16th. Plans for an exciting first night are in the works.

Student Government is expecting many exciting things in the upcoming weeks, including finalizing plans for a Fresh Farmer’s Market on the University Green, bringing fresh, locally-grown fruit and vegetables for sale to students. Another SG initiative, a UM iPhone and BlackBerry application, is complete and will be released soon.

And last, but certainly not least, after hundreds of votes were cast, the students have had their say: Pink Lemonade will be the fourth ICEE flavor available in the C-Store, a Dining Services and Student Government collaboration that both Mel Tenen, Assistant Vice President of Dining and Vending Services, and SG President Christina Farmer are very excited about. Expect to see the two ICEE machines installed early next month.

Follow SG on Facebook and Twitter (UMiamiSG) and visit the SG website at www.miami.edu/SG

Ryan Aquilina is the Press Secretary for Student Government and can be reached at r.aquilina@umiami.edu

SG Dates to Remember:

September 7th – Last day to file for Senate candidacy

September 16th – First night of the Ibis Ride, a long-term SG initiative

September 20-22 – Fall 2010 elections in the UC Breezeway

Every Wednesday at 4:30 p.m. in the UC Ballrooms – Open Senate Meetings

Poll:

How would you feel about Student Government working to bring Free Legal Services to students?

It might be beneficial to have free legal services.

I would definitely use free legal services if offered.

No way. Why do we need free legal services?

I wouldn’t use the legal services, but hey, they’re free!

Ryan Aquilina

Letter to the Editor

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Student Government Special Column”

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...