Student Government Special Column

ICEE Flavor Announced & Pietro Bortoletto Confirmed as New SG Vice-President

By Ryan Aquilina

Student Government senate held its first meeting of the year on September 1st, confirming Pietro Bortoletto as the new Student Government vice-president in a vote of 24-2. Many SG executive members showed up to speak on his behalf and after the almost unanimous vote, Pietro Bortoletto was sworn in.

Tickets sold out in just hours to Student Government’s first event as part of the new ‘Canes Nights program, sending 150 students to the Marlins game on September 4th. Following the game, students shared the field with Pitbull and Fat Joe for a post-game concert. The next ‘Canes Nights event is currently being planned.

The launch of the Ibis Ride, a long standing SG initiative, will be taking place on September 16th. Plans for an exciting first night are in the works.

Student Government is expecting many exciting things in the upcoming weeks, including finalizing plans for a Fresh Farmer’s Market on the University Green, bringing fresh, locally-grown fruit and vegetables for sale to students. Another SG initiative, a UM iPhone and BlackBerry application, is complete and will be released soon.

And last, but certainly not least, after hundreds of votes were cast, the students have had their say: Pink Lemonade will be the fourth ICEE flavor available in the C-Store, a Dining Services and Student Government collaboration that both Mel Tenen, Assistant Vice President of Dining and Vending Services, and SG President Christina Farmer are very excited about. Expect to see the two ICEE machines installed early next month.

Follow SG on Facebook and Twitter (UMiamiSG) and visit the SG website at www.miami.edu/SG

Ryan Aquilina is the Press Secretary for Student Government and can be reached at r.aquilina@umiami.edu

SG Dates to Remember:

September 7th – Last day to file for Senate candidacy

September 16th – First night of the Ibis Ride, a long-term SG initiative

September 20-22 – Fall 2010 elections in the UC Breezeway

Every Wednesday at 4:30 p.m. in the UC Ballrooms – Open Senate Meetings

Poll:

How would you feel about Student Government working to bring Free Legal Services to students?

It might be beneficial to have free legal services.

I would definitely use free legal services if offered.

No way. Why do we need free legal services?

I wouldn’t use the legal services, but hey, they’re free!

About Author

Ryan Aquilina Letter to the Editor

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Student Government Special Column”

Here’s a positive sign for the University of Miami football program: receiver Lawrence Cager appears ...

Tidbits from UM spring football Day 4: • Three of what likely will be UM’s top four corners haven’t ...

You’ve probably seen them: the emotive tweets from University of Miami football coach Mark Richt and ...

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...