SG rallies for civic involvement

Senior Aaron Esman and junior Jon Trock explain to the members of Delta Phi Epsilon sorority the importance of registering to vote in the Coral Gables district during their chapter meeting Tuesday night. Members of SG have been visiting various organizations to promote student registration to be able to participate in upcoming elections. Brittney Bomnin // Art Director

Florida’s approaching statewide gubernatorial and senatorial elections inspired University of Miami students to form a multi-organizational voter registration committee, focusing on increasing civic consciousness and informing students about issues that impact them as Coral Gables residents.

Led by Student Government, groups such as College Democrats, College Republicans, Get Out The Vote and Council For Democracy worked during the summer to plan the registration campaign that will run until Oct. 4 of this year.

“We will be tabling in the Breezeway every Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., registering voters,” said Fernanda Sanchez, Student Government elections chair. “We’ve had many people register in years past and many continue to register this year.”

In 2008, the University of Miami achieved the highest voter registration percentage among all Florida universities, with 2,000 students registered as Coral Gables residents.

Students who live on campus can vote in local and state elections at the BankUnited Center and the voting center near St. Augustine church- both Hurry ‘Cane shuttle stops. This encourages students to go to the polls while enabling students to have a stronger impact on local politics.

“It is extremely important that students vote as Coral Gables residents because of the weight their vote will carry in Florida,” said Matthew Robayna, Student Government executive at large. “The fact that we have no incumbent senator or governor in Florida running for re-election gives students a greater influence on the outcome of the election.”

Many students from other states are not registered to vote in Florida, which decreases civic participation in regional politics.

“Students should be conscious of issues on city planning, such as the internal road construction plans when they’re at the polls,” said Ryan Aquilina, Student Government press secretary.

The objective of the registration campaign- to promote a civic consciousness and raise awareness about local issues- is the motivation for groups like College Democrats to get involved in the cause.

“It is most important to us that non-partisan political activity be promoted through these campaigns,” said Jessica Kirner, vice president of College Democrats. “Our goal is to cultivate intellectual districts so our students can vote smarter.”

Voter registration’s aim is to get students excited about candidates and policies. Students are encouraged to participate in the initiative and exercise their democratic right.

“The challenge is to make voters feel like their vote matters,” said senior Alec Rivera, an international studies major. “In Florida, it definitely does.”

Nicolette Roque may be contacted at nroque@themiamihurricane.com.

Nicolette Roque

Assistant News Editor

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

This just in: University of Miami at Florida State will kick off in Tallahassee at 3:30 p.m. on Oct. ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

University of Miami women's golfer Dewi Weber wasted little time this season in adding to her a ...

The University of Miami's football game at Florida State on Oct. 7 will kick off at 3:30 p.m. E ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...