News Briefs 9/9

Celebration of life

A memorial for University of Miami student Kelly McConnell will take place on Sept. 24 at 4 p.m. in Storer Auditorium. There will be speakers, a slideshow of photos and a reception to follow with light refreshments.

Business dean stepping down

Barbara E. Kahn will be stepping down as dean of UM’s School of Business Administration on Jan. 15. She will be returning to the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania to be with her husband, who is also a professor there.

“The school has seen tremendous growth over the last few years and is currently in a very strong position,” Kahn said in an e-mail to the university. “I am proud of what the faculty, students and staff have accomplished.”

9/11 Memorial

The university will be hosting a Sept. 11 memorial in the UC  Lower Lounge Friday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Participants will gather to remember the victims, their families and the members of support groups and rescue teams that cleaned up the fallen towers.

Alternative fall break

UM Alternative Breaks sends students on low-cost trips across the country to learn about and work with different social issues such as HIV/AIDS, rebuilding, urban poverty and environmental rights.

Participant applications are due Friday for the fall break trips October 15-17. Fees are $75 and are all-inclusive. Applications can be turned in to the Butler Center, Apartment 41A.

For questions, contact umalternativebreaks@gmail.com.

Parker Davis may be contacted at pdavis@themiamihurricane.com.

Parker Davis

Assistant News Editor