News Briefs 9/9

Celebration of life

A memorial for University of Miami student Kelly McConnell will take place on Sept. 24 at 4 p.m. in Storer Auditorium. There will be speakers, a slideshow of photos and a reception to follow with light refreshments.

Business dean stepping down

Barbara E. Kahn will be stepping down as dean of UM’s School of Business Administration on Jan. 15. She will be returning to the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania to be with her husband, who is also a professor there.

“The school has seen tremendous growth over the last few years and is currently in a very strong position,” Kahn said in an e-mail to the university. “I am proud of what the faculty, students and staff have accomplished.”

9/11 Memorial

The university will be hosting a Sept. 11 memorial in the UC  Lower Lounge Friday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Participants will gather to remember the victims, their families and the members of support groups and rescue teams that cleaned up the fallen towers.

Alternative fall break

UM Alternative Breaks sends students on low-cost trips across the country to learn about and work with different social issues such as HIV/AIDS, rebuilding, urban poverty and environmental rights.

Participant applications are due Friday for the fall break trips October 15-17. Fees are $75 and are all-inclusive. Applications can be turned in to the Butler Center, Apartment 41A.

For questions, contact umalternativebreaks@gmail.com.

Parker Davis may be contacted at pdavis@themiamihurricane.com.

Parker Davis

Assistant News Editor

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...