Letter to the Editor

When I opened up The Miami Hurricane on Monday, I was very excited to read Andrew Hamner’s opinion piece on the “Ground Zero Mosque,” as I personally feel very many people are uninformed on the issue. Unfortunately, by the end of the column I instead found myself completely enraged, as the article only perpetuated the many lies and half-truths that have been spread by its opponents.

First and foremost, despite the fact that Mr. Hamner used the word approximately 12 times throughout his article: IT IS NOT A MOSQUE. It is an Islamic Community Center, which, yes, has space for prayer, but to conflate any Muslim area with a mosque (which are not bad places to begin with), is so incredibly ignorant.

Furthermore, the community center is NOT located on Ground Zero (in reality, it is more than two blocks away and won’ t even be visible from the site once completed), so to refer to it and imply that it is directly located on the World Trade Center site is misleading and helps to fuel the anger directed towards ALL Muslims, as it portrays them as disrespectful towards the memory of 9/11.

To prevent the center from being built basically sends the message not only that anyone who makes the majority uncomfortable should change who they are, it also perpetuates the close-minded American view that all Muslims are evil and must be stopped.

The truth is, the builders of Park51 have every right to build wherever they want, even if it was right across the street. It is never right to suggest that we withhold certain groups’ constitutional rights, or, even worse, that they willingly give them up because it would be “better” for society. Who do we decide is evil next? How would you feel if you were the minority?

What is really needed is a way to educate the people of our country on the positive aspects of the Muslim religion, so they can see it as another way that peaceful people worship God, not as a terrorist breeding ground, as so many people hurtfully believe.

Emily Louwsma is a senior majoring in elementary educagtion major.

Emily Louwsma

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne, Kellen Winslow II, Jon Beason and Lamar Thomas were among the football ...

Miami came up short in Game 1 of a doubleheader Saturday afternoon, falling to visiting Pitt, 3-0, a ...

Canes shoot 2-under on back nine; Weber third overall at 2-under 70. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will conclude its regular season Sunday with a home d ...

Kevin Arreaga smashed a school record in the men's hammer throw to lead the University of Miami ...