Beck: US suffers from disease

Glenn Beck will save this country. I don’t know if Beck’s screaming nationalistic rhetoric and frantic arm-waving conjures up the same images for you as it does for me. Still, we all know Beck is but a humble TV personality just trying to “awaken” this country, the land we all love.

He manages to craft a caricature of liberals who demand reform, painting them as hippies who hate their country, and implying that those who truly love our country understand that we’re in some sort of secular stupor. America has “wandered in darkness” Beck tells us, and only he can lead us out.

Luckily, there’s a light at the end of the tunnel. All we have to do is watch Beck drop books on his desk and appreciate that this is a man who reads. He reads books!

Seriously though, I fear for my country- seeing Beck mischaracterize the words of our founding fathers and knowing that many of his viewers are buying it. Witnessing the Tea Party pick Sarah Palin, a hockey mom who compared herself to Shakespeare for inadvertently coining the word “refudiate,” as their national mascot. Beck and Palin used to amuse me. Their growing influence over a substantial number of Americans currently worries me.

Beck argues that our country needs some sort of awakening. With this, I agree. However, we certainly don’t need a religious or spiritual awakening. Children aren’t malnourished in this country because of a lack of religion. States’ inability to pay their bills, our growing national debt, falling educational standards and our unsustainable American lifestyle are not problems that will disappear if Americans pray more.

Dare I say this? Sometimes, I worry that if Americans aren’t enlightened to the fact that our national problems aren’t the result of Mexican migrants and Muslim mosques, our political system may soon cause our eventual demise. A national effort, one I suggest should be borne out of our universities, should investigate practical solutions to America’s widespread problems.

Beck argues that our country suffers from “a disease.” He calls that disease “progressivism;” I call it a lack of progressivism. There are inadequacies that need reforming in this country. Palin can “refudiate” that idea till the glaciers start to melt.

Josh Kornfield is a junior majoring in international studies and political science. He may be contacted at jkornfield@themiamihurricane.com.

Josh Kornfield

Senior Columnist

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...