Shalala leads health care discussion

President Donna E. Shalala presented “UM and Health Care Reform” Wednesday at 12 p.m. in the Multipurpose Room of the UM Field House.

The presentation focused on the national health care reform, how its impact will be felt on campus, and answered questions from the crowd.

Although some citizens are concerned that the mandatory purchase of health insurance will infringe upon their rights, Shalala countered their claim.

“Currently, I think that there are shortcomings in the plan, because there is a mandate on everyone to become insured, yet the government has not created a pathway for everyone to obtain affordable healthcare,” law school student Georgia Vitzileos said.

In the presentation, Shalala said that the government’s intention is not to decrease health care costs, but to stop them from increasing. The main issue government dealt with, and is currently dealing with, was making sure all citizens are insured. The public debate has been about the role of the government and its authority to enforce such reforms.

Shalala said that health care reform is a natural role for the government since private sectors have failed in taking responsibility and getting all citizens insured.

“This is a giant step in terms of health and social policy,” Shalala said.

Stephanie Parra may be contacted at sparra@themiamihurricane.com.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...