UNICCO workers avoid strike

Nearly 400 cleaners and landscapers at the University of Miami reached a tentative three-year agreement that provides 7.5 percent in wage increases over three years, maintains employer-paid health care coverage and improves sick days and vacation time. However, the request for a 30-minute break when working outside in temperatures above 100 degrees was denied.

The agreement overcomes an issue that has been controversial in the past. In 2006, prior to joining the Service Employees International Union, UM’s workers protested the low wages and lack of health insurance through a labor strike that also grew to include hunger strikes.

Parker Davis may be contacted at pdavis@themiamihurricane.com.

Parker Davis

Assistant News Editor

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G6: Time again for the latest installment of the Canesfan Satisfaction ...

Syracuse student writer Matthew Gutierrez of The Daily Orange asked me to answer some of his questio ...

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...