UNICCO workers avoid strike

Nearly 400 cleaners and landscapers at the University of Miami reached a tentative three-year agreement that provides 7.5 percent in wage increases over three years, maintains employer-paid health care coverage and improves sick days and vacation time. However, the request for a 30-minute break when working outside in temperatures above 100 degrees was denied.

The agreement overcomes an issue that has been controversial in the past. In 2006, prior to joining the Service Employees International Union, UM’s workers protested the low wages and lack of health insurance through a labor strike that also grew to include hunger strikes.

Parker Davis may be contacted at pdavis@themiamihurricane.com.

Parker Davis

Assistant News Editor

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterlie Achille involved herself in many activitie ...