Sports briefs: 9/2

Try out for Hurricane baseball

The baseball team will be holding walk-on tryouts for the 2011 season on Sept. 15 at 6 p.m. Any interested students should pass by the Ron Fraser building at Alex Rodriguez Park over the next few weeks to fill out the necessary paperwork. Students must be enrolled full-time and have remaining NCAA eligibility. For additional information call the baseball offices at (305)284-4171.

Track & Field

Ashton Purvis, a member of the Hurricanes incoming Freshman class, has been named the 2009-2010 ESPN RISE DyeStat Girls Athlete of the Year. She had previously won the Gatorade National Track and Field Athlete of the Year, beating out 457,000 other female track and field athletes nationwide.

Soccer

The Soccer team will travel to Fort Myers this weekend to play in the Florida Gulf Coast Tournament. They will face the Arkansas Razorbacks on Friday night, as well as the Kent State Golden Flashes on Sunday morning. The team will be back home to take on West Virginia on Friday, Sept. 10.

Volleyball

The Volleyball team will be in Tennessee this weekend playing in the Middle Tennessee Blue Raider Bash. There they will face off against Auburn on Friday and both Southern Mississippi and Georgia Southern on Saturday before playing host Middle Tennessee on Sunday.

Ernesto Suarez can be reached at asstsports@themiamihurricane.com

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

Kevin Arreaga smashed a school record in the men's hammer throw to lead the University of Miami ...

A ninth-inning solo home from Pittsburgh proved the difference Friday night, as Miami dropped the se ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team notched its 10th ACC win of the season with a 5-2 road tri ...

Straight-set victories at the top four singles positions brought the University of Miami men's ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the region Sunday, the University of Miami baseball program ann ...