Sports briefs: 9/2

Try out for Hurricane baseball

The baseball team will be holding walk-on tryouts for the 2011 season on Sept. 15 at 6 p.m. Any interested students should pass by the Ron Fraser building at Alex Rodriguez Park over the next few weeks to fill out the necessary paperwork. Students must be enrolled full-time and have remaining NCAA eligibility. For additional information call the baseball offices at (305)284-4171.

Track & Field

Ashton Purvis, a member of the Hurricanes incoming Freshman class, has been named the 2009-2010 ESPN RISE DyeStat Girls Athlete of the Year. She had previously won the Gatorade National Track and Field Athlete of the Year, beating out 457,000 other female track and field athletes nationwide.

Soccer

The Soccer team will travel to Fort Myers this weekend to play in the Florida Gulf Coast Tournament. They will face the Arkansas Razorbacks on Friday night, as well as the Kent State Golden Flashes on Sunday morning. The team will be back home to take on West Virginia on Friday, Sept. 10.

Volleyball

The Volleyball team will be in Tennessee this weekend playing in the Middle Tennessee Blue Raider Bash. There they will face off against Auburn on Friday and both Southern Mississippi and Georgia Southern on Saturday before playing host Middle Tennessee on Sunday.

Ernesto Suarez can be reached at asstsports@themiamihurricane.com

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...