Sports briefs: 9/2

Try out for Hurricane baseball

The baseball team will be holding walk-on tryouts for the 2011 season on Sept. 15 at 6 p.m. Any interested students should pass by the Ron Fraser building at Alex Rodriguez Park over the next few weeks to fill out the necessary paperwork. Students must be enrolled full-time and have remaining NCAA eligibility. For additional information call the baseball offices at (305)284-4171.

Track & Field

Ashton Purvis, a member of the Hurricanes incoming Freshman class, has been named the 2009-2010 ESPN RISE DyeStat Girls Athlete of the Year. She had previously won the Gatorade National Track and Field Athlete of the Year, beating out 457,000 other female track and field athletes nationwide.

Soccer

The Soccer team will travel to Fort Myers this weekend to play in the Florida Gulf Coast Tournament. They will face the Arkansas Razorbacks on Friday night, as well as the Kent State Golden Flashes on Sunday morning. The team will be back home to take on West Virginia on Friday, Sept. 10.

Volleyball

The Volleyball team will be in Tennessee this weekend playing in the Middle Tennessee Blue Raider Bash. There they will face off against Auburn on Friday and both Southern Mississippi and Georgia Southern on Saturday before playing host Middle Tennessee on Sunday.

Ernesto Suarez can be reached at asstsports@themiamihurricane.com

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

A University of Miami Ph.D. student in the Department of History sheds light on the dark history of ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...