Soccer

Senior sets goal-scoring record in second half

Brittney Steinbruch sets new UM record with 31 goals. Alex Broadwell//The Miami Hurricane

The University of Miami women’s soccer team hosted interstate rival Florida Gulf Coast University for their home opener in Cobb Stadium, defeating the Eagles 3-1 with two goals by senior Brittney Steinbruch.

Steinbruch became the Hurricanes’ leading career scorer with her first goal of the night, totaling 31 goals in her career with the Canes.

“It’s great to represent the team at home or away,” she said. “But it was great that my parents were here and got to see it.”

The Canes dominated the game, especially in the second half when the Eagles’ offense disappeared. The Hurricanes outshot the Eagles 28-6 with sophomore Kate Howarth leading Miami with six shots.

“We didn’t really change much in the second half,” UM sophomore Jordan Roseboro said. “But we really changed our mentality when we came back out on the field.”

The Eagles were most successful on the counterattack as Miami pressed forward, relying on their speed up top to try and catch the Canes’ defense off guard.

In the 25th minute, Steinbruch had a shot on goal that was blocked by the Eagles’ goalie Stephanie Powers, hitting the crossbar before being cleared by the opposing team’s defense.

The Canes had another close chance when Fatima Nasser hit the crossbar in the 49th minute.

Steinbruch scored in the 59th minute with a shot to the lower left post off an assist by freshman Kelley Griffin, giving the Hurricanes the 1-0 lead and becoming Miami’s all-time leading scorer.

“The win is always the most important thing,” Steinbruch said. “But it was a great moment.”

It was Steinbruch’s 30th career goal with the Hurricanes, passing former leader Brittney Butcher with 29.

“Steinbruch has really taken the team to another level,” coach Tricia Taliaferro said. “It was great to see her get the goal.”

Roseboro added to the score in the 62nd minute off a deflection by Powers off a shot by Lauren Singer, which she buried into the back of the net from just a couple feet out.

Steinbruch got her second goal of the half in the 62 minute with a shot inside the box to the lower left post, outside of the reach of Stephanie Powers, to give Miami the resounding 3-0 lead. Steinbruch now has three goals for the season.

“We really stressed playing quicker in the second half,” said Coach Taliaferro. “The three goals in three minutes was exactly the kind of play we need.”

Junior Vikki Alonzo saved her second penalty kick of the season in the 81st minute, stopping a shot by the Eagles’ Brittney Burt.

Alonzo’s luck ran out just three minutes later when the Eagles were awarded another penalty kick in the 84th minute. The Eagles’ Amanda Goble was able to bury it into the back of the net to make the final score 3-1.

The Hurricanes will next face Arkansas on Friday in Fort Myers at 4:30 p.m.

Debora Rubi may be contacted at drubi@themiamihurricane.com.

Debora Rubi

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

A University of Miami Ph.D. student in the Department of History sheds light on the dark history of ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...