WVUM promotes new opportunities

Falyn Freeman, Univerity of Miami Junior and WVUM DJ, blows a cloud of the bubbles at WVUM's Days Out. Rachel Steinhauser//The Miami Hurricane

This semester, WVUM is hosting various promotional events to increase its influence on campus. The non-commercial radio station, located on the first floor of the University Center, is hosting an informational meeting Sept. 12 at 12:45 p.m. in Flamingo Ballroom A to invite new students interested in working and expanding the station’s role on campus.

The student-run station plans to host regular events like Wednesday’s “WVUM Days Out” in the UC Patio featuring a popular local DJ. These events intend to raise awareness about WVUM.

“We want people to know and get involved with the radio station,” general manager Amber Robertson said. “We encourage people to submit applications to work for WVUM.”

Last week’s event offered free food, drinks and music by DJs Ray Milan and Joshy Josh.

“I felt like I was at Vagabond on my lunch break… which is a good thing,” sophomore Patricia Suarez said.

The station also hosted an open house this past Friday to allow students a view into the work of a WVUM member.

“We want to have open houses this year,” Robertson said. “We did them last year, but only one or two were successful. As general manager, my goal is one or two a month.”

The open house, sponsored by Honest Tea and Pirate’s Booty Potato Flyers, included a tour of the studio and plenty of giveaways. Members of the station staffed the event and interacted with interested students.

“We’re always looking for new members to join, whether they become DJs or members of the music staff,” WVUM DJ Savanna Stiff said.

Its goal- to have someone on air 24 hours of the day- has created a demand for applicants, especially for graphic and web designers. Applications are available in the office or online at wvum.org.

Nicolette Roque may be contacted at nroque@themiamihurricane.com.

Nicolette Roque

Assistant News Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “WVUM promotes new opportunities”

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...