WVUM promotes new opportunities

Falyn Freeman, Univerity of Miami Junior and WVUM DJ, blows a cloud of the bubbles at WVUM's Days Out. Rachel Steinhauser//The Miami Hurricane

This semester, WVUM is hosting various promotional events to increase its influence on campus. The non-commercial radio station, located on the first floor of the University Center, is hosting an informational meeting Sept. 12 at 12:45 p.m. in Flamingo Ballroom A to invite new students interested in working and expanding the station’s role on campus.

The student-run station plans to host regular events like Wednesday’s “WVUM Days Out” in the UC Patio featuring a popular local DJ. These events intend to raise awareness about WVUM.

“We want people to know and get involved with the radio station,” general manager Amber Robertson said. “We encourage people to submit applications to work for WVUM.”

Last week’s event offered free food, drinks and music by DJs Ray Milan and Joshy Josh.

“I felt like I was at Vagabond on my lunch break… which is a good thing,” sophomore Patricia Suarez said.

The station also hosted an open house this past Friday to allow students a view into the work of a WVUM member.

“We want to have open houses this year,” Robertson said. “We did them last year, but only one or two were successful. As general manager, my goal is one or two a month.”

The open house, sponsored by Honest Tea and Pirate’s Booty Potato Flyers, included a tour of the studio and plenty of giveaways. Members of the station staffed the event and interacted with interested students.

“We’re always looking for new members to join, whether they become DJs or members of the music staff,” WVUM DJ Savanna Stiff said.

Its goal- to have someone on air 24 hours of the day- has created a demand for applicants, especially for graphic and web designers. Applications are available in the office or online at wvum.org.

Nicolette Roque may be contacted at nroque@themiamihurricane.com.

Nicolette Roque

Assistant News Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “WVUM promotes new opportunities”

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

UM showcases its technology initiatives and projects at eMerge Americas ...

The University of Miami Center for Computational Science and the Fastrack Institute sign an agreemen ...

Four weeks, four potential stars, only at The U. ...

Redshirt senior forward Kamari Murphy of the University of Miami men's basketball team will pla ...

Senior guard Davon Reed of the University of Miami men's basketball team was selected No. 32 ov ...

Lexi Castellano of the University of Miami soccer team spent almost four weeks this summer in Vietna ...

Miami Hurricanes baseball legend Pat Burrell will be inducted into the Omaha College Baseball Hall o ...