WVUM promotes new opportunities

Falyn Freeman, Univerity of Miami Junior and WVUM DJ, blows a cloud of the bubbles at WVUM's Days Out. Rachel Steinhauser//The Miami Hurricane

This semester, WVUM is hosting various promotional events to increase its influence on campus. The non-commercial radio station, located on the first floor of the University Center, is hosting an informational meeting Sept. 12 at 12:45 p.m. in Flamingo Ballroom A to invite new students interested in working and expanding the station’s role on campus.

The student-run station plans to host regular events like Wednesday’s “WVUM Days Out” in the UC Patio featuring a popular local DJ. These events intend to raise awareness about WVUM.

“We want people to know and get involved with the radio station,” general manager Amber Robertson said. “We encourage people to submit applications to work for WVUM.”

Last week’s event offered free food, drinks and music by DJs Ray Milan and Joshy Josh.

“I felt like I was at Vagabond on my lunch break… which is a good thing,” sophomore Patricia Suarez said.

The station also hosted an open house this past Friday to allow students a view into the work of a WVUM member.

“We want to have open houses this year,” Robertson said. “We did them last year, but only one or two were successful. As general manager, my goal is one or two a month.”

The open house, sponsored by Honest Tea and Pirate’s Booty Potato Flyers, included a tour of the studio and plenty of giveaways. Members of the station staffed the event and interacted with interested students.

“We’re always looking for new members to join, whether they become DJs or members of the music staff,” WVUM DJ Savanna Stiff said.

Its goal- to have someone on air 24 hours of the day- has created a demand for applicants, especially for graphic and web designers. Applications are available in the office or online at wvum.org.

Nicolette Roque may be contacted at nroque@themiamihurricane.com.

About Author

Nicolette Roque Assistant News Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “WVUM promotes new opportunities”

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...