WVUM promotes new opportunities

Falyn Freeman, Univerity of Miami Junior and WVUM DJ, blows a cloud of the bubbles at WVUM's Days Out. Rachel Steinhauser//The Miami Hurricane

This semester, WVUM is hosting various promotional events to increase its influence on campus. The non-commercial radio station, located on the first floor of the University Center, is hosting an informational meeting Sept. 12 at 12:45 p.m. in Flamingo Ballroom A to invite new students interested in working and expanding the station’s role on campus.

The student-run station plans to host regular events like Wednesday’s “WVUM Days Out” in the UC Patio featuring a popular local DJ. These events intend to raise awareness about WVUM.

“We want people to know and get involved with the radio station,” general manager Amber Robertson said. “We encourage people to submit applications to work for WVUM.”

Last week’s event offered free food, drinks and music by DJs Ray Milan and Joshy Josh.

“I felt like I was at Vagabond on my lunch break… which is a good thing,” sophomore Patricia Suarez said.

The station also hosted an open house this past Friday to allow students a view into the work of a WVUM member.

“We want to have open houses this year,” Robertson said. “We did them last year, but only one or two were successful. As general manager, my goal is one or two a month.”

The open house, sponsored by Honest Tea and Pirate’s Booty Potato Flyers, included a tour of the studio and plenty of giveaways. Members of the station staffed the event and interacted with interested students.

“We’re always looking for new members to join, whether they become DJs or members of the music staff,” WVUM DJ Savanna Stiff said.

Its goal- to have someone on air 24 hours of the day- has created a demand for applicants, especially for graphic and web designers. Applications are available in the office or online at wvum.org.

Nicolette Roque may be contacted at nroque@themiamihurricane.com.

Nicolette Roque

Assistant News Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “WVUM promotes new opportunities”

That nation-leading, 44-year NCAA tournament streak is not over yet. One swing of the bat on Saturda ...

View photos from the Virginia Tech at Miami Saturday, May 20, 20017, in Coral Galbes, Fla. … Click t ...

Here was a man who they aspired to be. Here was a millionaire. A local legend. An NFL star. A man wh ...

The Miami Hurricanes, fueled by exceptional pitching in both ends of a doubleheader, refuse to surre ...

Miles Wilson has narrowed his choices to Miami and Auburn, and will announce his decision after visi ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Thursday’s graduate degree ceremony was the largest in UM history ...

The No. 13-ranked University of Miami women's golf team had a 13-stroke improvement on Day 2 at ...

Game times have been set for the 2017 Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship, and sixth-see ...

The University of Miami women's golf team waited around for nearly three hours to begin Day 2 c ...

Edgar Michelangeli capped the regular season with a walk-off, three-run home run, as Miami earned it ...

The No. 13-ranked University of Miami women's golf team opened competition Friday at the NCAA C ...