UM professor loses battle to cancer

Law student Tyler Kirk, Sailor, Professor Bruce Winick and Bruno Brittney Bomnin // File Photo

Bruce J. Winick, an esteemed University of Miami law professor, passed away early Thursday from complications of cancer at the age of 65.

Winick was known for more than 36 years of teaching and advocacy, revolutionizing mental health law.

The first Laurie Silvers and Mitchell Rubenstein Distinguished Professor of Law in 2009, Winick focused his work on therapeutic jurisprudence, a field that focuses on human dignity and worth in the legal system.

Winick, who was often seen around campus with his seeing-eye dog, lost the majority of his eyesight in his late 20s and was an inspiration to many visually impaired students.

He was born with retinitis pigmentosa, a congenital disorder that causes gradual deterioration of sight.

“Bruce will be deeply missed, and our thoughts and prayers go out to his daughter, our colleague Margot Winick, his family and his many, many friends,” President Donna E. Shalala said in a statement released Thursday.

According to Margot Winick, assistant vice president of media relations and multimedia at UM, students, friends and colleagues have been posting their appreciation for Winick on his Facebook fan page and on her personal page.

“On behalf of the whole family, we’re touched by the outpouring of support and tribute we are receiving,” Margot Winick said. “The response has been really touching and beautiful, and the family just appreciates that warmth.”

The School of Law will be holding a celebration of his life for the university community. Details regarding the memorial have yet to be confirmed.

Alexandra Leon may be contacted at aleon@themiamihurricane.com.

About Author

Alexandra Leon Senior News Writer

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

The world renown flautist joins the Frost School of Music ...

A fluid multi-platform exhibition examines the impacts of climate change through art, research, medi ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team will head north to take on Boston College Friday at 1 p.m. ...

Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the dates for the 2 ...

Briadam Herrera picked up the third All-America honor of his career Thursday with a fifth-place fini ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame will hold the 49th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Tu ...

Football players Braxton Berrios and Demetrius Jackson, soccer player Phallon Tullis-Joyce, cross co ...