Senior hit by moving vehicle while walking toward campus

Marie Cushmore was struck walking from CVS at the U.S. 1 and Mariposa Court intersection.

Marie Cushmore was walking back from filling a prescription at the CVS across from campus when a SUV struck her.

On Wednesday at approximately 9:30 p.m., the University of Miami senior was hit by a black Ford Expedition as she was crossing U.S. 1 and Mariposa Court.

According to Cushmore, she was crossing the street as the “stop” hand at the end of the pedestrian walkway was blinking. Cushmore thought she would have enough time to get across. She was trying to make it to a meeting on campus.

The driver, who Cushmore said might not have seen her since it was dark and she was wearing her dark green Academic Fellow shirt, swerved away from her and hit her with his taillight.

“I knew the guy didn’t mean to hit me,” Cushmore said.

Cushmore remained conscious as she was knocked into the grass by the Metrorail station.

“It’s hard to see what the lights are changing to,” she added.

Cushmore was immediately checked in to the Jackson Ryder Trauma Center where she was under 24-hour observation. While she did not experience any head trauma, she did receive extensive bruising and other injuries.

“It was a lot to go through because of the injuries I’ve sustained,” Cushmore said. “The Jackson Memorial Health service was a big part of helping me to recover. Friends, family and staff have been very supportive.”

Cushmore declined to comment further on her injuries because she is still recovering. Coral Gables police who worked on the case were unavailable for comment.

The intersection where Cushmore was hit has had a history of accidents involving UM student pedestrians. Over five years ago, UM student Ashley Kelly was killed when she was hit by a SUV that ran a red light on U.S. 1 and Mariposa Court.

Since 1990, seven students have been struck crossing Ponce de Leon Boulevard and U.S. 1. Three of the incidents have resulted in death.

“It’s really infuriating because that intersection has always been so dangerous,” said Caroline Mauriello, a friend of Cushmore’s. “I feel that people turning from U.S. 1 just don’t pay attention.”

After the accident, Student Government passed the “Ashley Kelly Resolution” to build a pedestrian overpass across U.S. 1 at Mariposa. The bridge was expected to be completed by spring 2010, however, there has been no movement to begin construction due to lack of Miami-Dade County funding.

“We have been working with Miami-Dade County and will be engaging the city of Coral Gables in an effort to speed completion of this project,” read an official statement released by the university Thursday afternoon.

Alexandra Leon may be contacted at aleon@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...

After rallying to force a split, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miamis women's tennis team was u ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will wrap up the memorable 2018 season as No. 42 in t ...