Soccer

Miami ties Purdue

The University of Miami women’s soccer team (1-1-1) ended their three-game road trip with a tie in double overtime against the Purdue Boilermakers (1-1-1) 1-1 Friday night at the Varsity Complex Center in West Lafayette, Ind.

Sophomore Kate Howarth opened up the score in the first 15 minutes off an assist by fellow sophomore Ali Brennan that she sent to the lower left corner to give the Canes the 1-0 lead. Howarth led Miami with five shots in the game.

Howarth had a second chance later in the match with a close diving header in the box.

Purdue tied the game in the 78th minute off a goal by Lauren Montenegro to make the score 1-1.

Senior Brittney Steinbruch, who was looking to become the Hurricanes’ all-time leading scorer, had one shot on goal during the match.

The Hurricanes had 23 fouls in a tough match that saw junior Ashlee Burt get a yellow card in the 73rd minute for the Hurricanes and Kaitlyn Blacha for the Boilermakers in the 105th minute.

Junior keeper Vikki Alonzo had another strong game for the Hurricanes with nine saves.

Alonzo stopped a pivotal penalty shot in the 55th minute after Purdue’s Kellie Phillips was fouled in the box.

The Boilermakers had 10 shots on goal compared to five for the Hurricanes.

After their first three games, the Hurricanes have already donated $80 to the Malaika For Life program created by UM alumn Kristen Kenney by ‘Scoring Goals to Save Lives’. The Canes will donate $10, the amount needed to save a life, for each goal scored.

The Hurricanes have their home opener against Florida Gulf Coast University Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. in Cobb Stadium.

Debora Rubi may be contacted at drubi@themiamihurricane.com.

Debora Rubi

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...