Soccer

Miami ties Purdue

The University of Miami women’s soccer team (1-1-1) ended their three-game road trip with a tie in double overtime against the Purdue Boilermakers (1-1-1) 1-1 Friday night at the Varsity Complex Center in West Lafayette, Ind.

Sophomore Kate Howarth opened up the score in the first 15 minutes off an assist by fellow sophomore Ali Brennan that she sent to the lower left corner to give the Canes the 1-0 lead. Howarth led Miami with five shots in the game.

Howarth had a second chance later in the match with a close diving header in the box.

Purdue tied the game in the 78th minute off a goal by Lauren Montenegro to make the score 1-1.

Senior Brittney Steinbruch, who was looking to become the Hurricanes’ all-time leading scorer, had one shot on goal during the match.

The Hurricanes had 23 fouls in a tough match that saw junior Ashlee Burt get a yellow card in the 73rd minute for the Hurricanes and Kaitlyn Blacha for the Boilermakers in the 105th minute.

Junior keeper Vikki Alonzo had another strong game for the Hurricanes with nine saves.

Alonzo stopped a pivotal penalty shot in the 55th minute after Purdue’s Kellie Phillips was fouled in the box.

The Boilermakers had 10 shots on goal compared to five for the Hurricanes.

After their first three games, the Hurricanes have already donated $80 to the Malaika For Life program created by UM alumn Kristen Kenney by ‘Scoring Goals to Save Lives’. The Canes will donate $10, the amount needed to save a life, for each goal scored.

The Hurricanes have their home opener against Florida Gulf Coast University Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. in Cobb Stadium.

Debora Rubi may be contacted at drubi@themiamihurricane.com.

About Author

Debora Rubi Senior Sports Writer

Last year the rain fell in torrents. Wednesday was all scorching sunshine. Fifteen former Miami Hurr ...

See phtos from the University of Miami's annual Pro Day, where outgoing UM players perform for ...

Quarterback Brad Kaaya ambled out of the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence close to 3 p.m. Wed ...

A woman has accused NFL Hall of Famer and former University of Miami star wide receiver Michael Irvi ...

Today is special for 15 former Hurricanes football players from the University of Miami. It’s Pro Da ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

At The Net with Piotr Lomacki ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will face Princeton on Dec. 2 in the Naismith Mem ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete at two of the top outdoor meets in the Uni ...

What's Pro Day like at The U? We followed along from start to finish to find out. ...

Greg Veliz delivered a sparkling performance on the hill, but Miami fell to No. 12 FGCU 3-0. ...