“Going the Distance” falls flat

“Going the Distance” is a fairly straight-forward film about a long-distance relationship. There are no major twists or surprises, and it’s an honest, vaguely romanticized look at a realistic couple. Like any relationship, however, the film starts to drag after a funny, fast-paced “getting to know you” montage. Once the courtship ends and Erin (Drew Barrymore) and Garrett’s (Justin Long) relationship begins, “Going the Distance” becomes a bit monotonous.

Any passion that Barrymore and Long may have in their real-life relationship did not transfer well to the screen. While not a disaster of, say, “Gigli” proportions, “Going the Distance” is definitely not much fun. Barrymore is notably subdued, avoiding the wackiness that affects all of her roles. Long isn’t a natural leading man, but he sufficiently holds his own.

The best performance is from Christina Applegate as Erin’s anal-retentive, overprotective sister. The normally fantastic Jason Sudeikis is boorish, though he is nowhere near as obnoxious as Charlie Day as Garrett’s roommate. One of the highlights is a fleeting, hilarious cameo from Kristen Schaal, but her onscreen time is minimal.

The best moments of the film can all be found in its trailer and commercials. What could have been a pleasant, promising movie is, in reality, outrageously crude and fairly offensive. More than that, it’s just boring.

Sarah B. Pilchick may be contacted at spilchick@themiamihurricane.com.

Rating: 1.5/4 stars

Starring: Drew Barrymore, Justin Long

Release date: Sept. 3

Directed By: Nannette Burstein

MPAA Rating: R

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...