“Going the Distance” falls flat

“Going the Distance” is a fairly straight-forward film about a long-distance relationship. There are no major twists or surprises, and it’s an honest, vaguely romanticized look at a realistic couple. Like any relationship, however, the film starts to drag after a funny, fast-paced “getting to know you” montage. Once the courtship ends and Erin (Drew Barrymore) and Garrett’s (Justin Long) relationship begins, “Going the Distance” becomes a bit monotonous.

Any passion that Barrymore and Long may have in their real-life relationship did not transfer well to the screen. While not a disaster of, say, “Gigli” proportions, “Going the Distance” is definitely not much fun. Barrymore is notably subdued, avoiding the wackiness that affects all of her roles. Long isn’t a natural leading man, but he sufficiently holds his own.

The best performance is from Christina Applegate as Erin’s anal-retentive, overprotective sister. The normally fantastic Jason Sudeikis is boorish, though he is nowhere near as obnoxious as Charlie Day as Garrett’s roommate. One of the highlights is a fleeting, hilarious cameo from Kristen Schaal, but her onscreen time is minimal.

The best moments of the film can all be found in its trailer and commercials. What could have been a pleasant, promising movie is, in reality, outrageously crude and fairly offensive. More than that, it’s just boring.

Sarah B. Pilchick may be contacted at spilchick@themiamihurricane.com.

Rating: 1.5/4 stars

Starring: Drew Barrymore, Justin Long

Release date: Sept. 3

Directed By: Nannette Burstein

MPAA Rating: R

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...