News Briefs 8/30

UM on cover of National Geographic
University of Miami researchers from the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS) are the featured cover story of the most recent issue of National Geographic magazine. The UM-led expedition focused on the underwater caves of the Bahamas, known as Blue Holes, and made significant findings related to the past history of the Earth, including human occupation, previously undiscovered microbial life and abrupt climatic changes.

Canes get a surprise visit from LeBron
Two-time reigning MVP Lebron James and some of his new Miami Heat teammates stopped by the university’s basketball facility Thursday for an informal scrimmage against the Hurricanes that lasted more than an hour. James’ entourage included Udonis Haslem, Mike Miller, Patrick Beverly and New Orleans guard Chris Paul. After the event, James posted on his Twitter account, “Just left ‘The U’ hooping with the team… Great runs! Needed that.” UM has invited him to see a Miami football game from the sideline anytime he wants- even Sept. 11 against No. 2 Ohio State.

Shalala to discuss Health Care reform
President Shalala will present “UM and Health Care Reform” on Wednesday at 12 p.m. in the Multipurpose Room of the UM Field House. The event is free and open to UM faculty, staff and students.

Parker Davis

Assistant News Editor

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

Hurricanes will compete in Austin Regional May 7-9. ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek its second postseason win in as many years ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...