News Briefs 8/30

UM on cover of National Geographic
University of Miami researchers from the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS) are the featured cover story of the most recent issue of National Geographic magazine. The UM-led expedition focused on the underwater caves of the Bahamas, known as Blue Holes, and made significant findings related to the past history of the Earth, including human occupation, previously undiscovered microbial life and abrupt climatic changes.

Canes get a surprise visit from LeBron
Two-time reigning MVP Lebron James and some of his new Miami Heat teammates stopped by the university’s basketball facility Thursday for an informal scrimmage against the Hurricanes that lasted more than an hour. James’ entourage included Udonis Haslem, Mike Miller, Patrick Beverly and New Orleans guard Chris Paul. After the event, James posted on his Twitter account, “Just left ‘The U’ hooping with the team… Great runs! Needed that.” UM has invited him to see a Miami football game from the sideline anytime he wants- even Sept. 11 against No. 2 Ohio State.

Shalala to discuss Health Care reform
President Shalala will present “UM and Health Care Reform” on Wednesday at 12 p.m. in the Multipurpose Room of the UM Field House. The event is free and open to UM faculty, staff and students.

Parker Davis

Assistant News Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “News Briefs 8/30”

The first University of Miami player to wear the coveted turnover chain will no longer play football ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...

Highlighted by a thrilling, three-set, top-five win by sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba, the Miami w ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...