News Briefs 8/30

UM on cover of National Geographic
University of Miami researchers from the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS) are the featured cover story of the most recent issue of National Geographic magazine. The UM-led expedition focused on the underwater caves of the Bahamas, known as Blue Holes, and made significant findings related to the past history of the Earth, including human occupation, previously undiscovered microbial life and abrupt climatic changes.

Canes get a surprise visit from LeBron
Two-time reigning MVP Lebron James and some of his new Miami Heat teammates stopped by the university’s basketball facility Thursday for an informal scrimmage against the Hurricanes that lasted more than an hour. James’ entourage included Udonis Haslem, Mike Miller, Patrick Beverly and New Orleans guard Chris Paul. After the event, James posted on his Twitter account, “Just left ‘The U’ hooping with the team… Great runs! Needed that.” UM has invited him to see a Miami football game from the sideline anytime he wants- even Sept. 11 against No. 2 Ohio State.

Shalala to discuss Health Care reform
President Shalala will present “UM and Health Care Reform” on Wednesday at 12 p.m. in the Multipurpose Room of the UM Field House. The event is free and open to UM faculty, staff and students.

Parker Davis

Assistant News Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “News Briefs 8/30”

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...