Sports briefs 8/26

Try out for Hurricane baseball

The baseball team will be holding walk-on tryouts for the 2011 season on Sept. 15 at 6 p.m. Any interested students should pass by the Ron Fraser building at Alex Rodriguez Park over the next few weeks to fill out the necessary paperwork. Students must be enrolled full-time and have remaining NCAA eligibility. For additional information call the baseball offices at (305)284-4171.

Canes soccer to play purdue

After a 6-0 rout of Stetson Sunday, the soccer team will head over to Purdue University to take on the 1-1 Boilermakers on Friday evening. The team will play their home opener against Florida Gulf Coast on Sept. 31.

Cross country to begin Sept. 5

The University of Miami cross country schedule has been released with their first event, the King of the Hill Challenge, taking place in Davie Sept. 5. Unlike past years, where they would open their season with a home event, this year they will close out the regular season with the Miami Elite Invitational Oct. 22.

Volleyball plays back-to-back

The volleyball team will open their season Friday in Oklahoma, where they will compete in the four-team Nike Invitational. They will take on UT Arlington Friday night and both Wichita State and Oklahoma on Saturday. Their home opener is on Tuesday night against Florida Atlantic.

Travel to Ohio with category 5

Category 5 will be offering a travel package for the Miami versus Ohio State game Sept. 11.  Tickets will be sold Monday at 7 a.m. at the University Center for $300, which includes a game ticket, airfare, hotel accommodations and transportation. Payment must be made by either cash, check or money order, with exact change only. Contact Brandon Mitchell at b.mitchell@umiami.edu or Doug Aguililla at d.aguililla@umiami.edu.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at esuarez@themiamihurricane.com

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...