Sports briefs 8/26

Try out for Hurricane baseball

The baseball team will be holding walk-on tryouts for the 2011 season on Sept. 15 at 6 p.m. Any interested students should pass by the Ron Fraser building at Alex Rodriguez Park over the next few weeks to fill out the necessary paperwork. Students must be enrolled full-time and have remaining NCAA eligibility. For additional information call the baseball offices at (305)284-4171.

Canes soccer to play purdue

After a 6-0 rout of Stetson Sunday, the soccer team will head over to Purdue University to take on the 1-1 Boilermakers on Friday evening. The team will play their home opener against Florida Gulf Coast on Sept. 31.

Cross country to begin Sept. 5

The University of Miami cross country schedule has been released with their first event, the King of the Hill Challenge, taking place in Davie Sept. 5. Unlike past years, where they would open their season with a home event, this year they will close out the regular season with the Miami Elite Invitational Oct. 22.

Volleyball plays back-to-back

The volleyball team will open their season Friday in Oklahoma, where they will compete in the four-team Nike Invitational. They will take on UT Arlington Friday night and both Wichita State and Oklahoma on Saturday. Their home opener is on Tuesday night against Florida Atlantic.

Travel to Ohio with category 5

Category 5 will be offering a travel package for the Miami versus Ohio State game Sept. 11.  Tickets will be sold Monday at 7 a.m. at the University Center for $300, which includes a game ticket, airfare, hotel accommodations and transportation. Payment must be made by either cash, check or money order, with exact change only. Contact Brandon Mitchell at b.mitchell@umiami.edu or Doug Aguililla at d.aguililla@umiami.edu.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at esuarez@themiamihurricane.com

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he didn’t hesitat ...

1. DOLPHINS: Miami seeks revenge vs. hated, Stinkin' Jets: Dolphins host Jets Sunday with Miami ...

Notes and observations on UM’s 27-19 win against Syracuse: • A UM source said Mark Richt seemed more ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

The Miami women's tennis team split its eight matches on its second day of competition at the I ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...