Football

Rising stars storm gridiron

Everyone knows the stars of the Hurricane football team: Jacory Harris, Brandon Harris, Allen Bailey and Leonard Hankerson. But there are other players on the roster who are due to have a successful year as well. Below is the list of the top five members of the Hurricanes football team who will have breakout seasons.

5) Redshirt junior center Tyler Horn:

You know Horn will be doing a great job if you don’t hear his name throughout the season. Offensive linemen should be seen and not heard. They are the unsung heroes of every football team. Horn has not played a meaningful snap his first three years with the program. He barely touched the pig skin for three years, but now he will be touching it every offensive play. Horn should be a very serviceable center.

4) Redshirt sophomore safety Vaughn Telemaque:

This California native spurned his hometown by choosing Miami over USC. Early on, Telemaque drew comparisons to former Cane standout Ed Reed. Telemaque has yet to live up to the hype and has zero interceptions in his Cane career thus far. That will change this year. He has a nose for the football and has played well in big games. He recorded nine tackles in both the Oklahoma and Wisconsin games. Now it’s time for him to tackle the pig skin and create turnovers in the secondary.

3) Junior defensive tackle Micanor Regis:

Regis may be the most underrated football player on this team. “Is that your final answer?” Yes. Without a doubt Regis will be a household name this year. And I’m not referring to the host of “Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?” Regis recorded his second career interception in the Champs Sports Bowl against Wisconsin after Allen Bailey batted a ball in the air. The defensive line is the deepest position on this team and Regis is a huge reason why.

2) Redshirt sophomore wide receiver Kendal Thompkins:

Despite the fact that he didn’t appear on the stat sheet after the game, Thompkins deserved the game ball after UM’s 33-17 win last year over Georgia Tech, who would go on to win the ACC Championship game. He was an integral part of the scout team the week prior in order to simulate Georgia Tech’s “option and run attack” offense. Thompkins has waited patiently for two years now for his turn. Wide receiver Thearon Collier was dismissed from the team in July and now Thompkins will look to fill the void Collier left behind.

1) Senior running back Damien Berry:

The only thing stopping Berry from being a Heisman Trophy candidate is the coaching staff. If Randy Shannon and Mark Whipple give Berry an ample amount of carries, there is no reason why he shouldn’t accumulate 1,000 yards and score double digit touchdowns this season. Berry is so tough he played his senior year of high school on a torn ACL. Last year he averaged 6.6 yards per carry. Berry was instrumental in Miami’s second half rally versus Duke. He must be the premier running back this year. He is too good and too determined to succeed.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

Justin Antweil

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Rising stars storm gridiron”

1. Mike says:

This site had a similar article published on June 13th (even had Berry at #1, too):

http://canespundit.com/2010/06/13/top-5-breakout-candidates-for-the-2010-season/