News Briefs 8/25

Sebastian’s Café

Sebastian’s Café is now open at the Robert and Judi Prokop Newman Alumni Center featuring a casual bistro menu, indoor and outdoor seating, and a welcoming atmosphere. Located across from Alex Rodriguez Park, Sebastian’s Café is open to faculty, staff, students, and the general community.

Hours: Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.

Parking Permits

Enforcement of the “no valid UM permit” violation will not begin until Tuesday, Sept. 7. Anyone without a valid 2010-2011 permit will be asked to park in the Ponce Garage, in front of the BankUnited Center, and lots 42-43 under the Metrorail station. Lot restriction enforcement will begin on Aug. 25 to ensure appropriate lot designation depending on permit type.

For example, discount permit holders can park in discount lots only, commuter permits are valid in commuter lots only, and those with “no valid UM permit” can park in the aforementioned lots/garage only.

Students interested in obtaining a parking permit can apply through MyUM.

SoC Dean’s final year

School of Communication Dean Sam Grogg will be stepping down at the end of the 2010-2011 academic year, but will remain on the faculty and continue to work with students. The provost is organizing a search committee for his replacement; 12 faculty members representing the seven SoC programs have been nominated.

In an open letter to the School of Communication, Grogg wrote, “My term of five years is at an end. I will be teaching on the faculty and able to work more directly with you—an invigorating opportunity. And I am truly thankful for being able to contribute to the growth and success of your great School of Communication which is now celebrating its 25th year.”

Armed Robbery Near Campus

An armed robbery occurred Wednesday morning at Metro Bank, adjacent to the Gables One building on 1390 South Dixie Highway. The suspect was described as a white male wearing a black ski mask and black/gray jacket with a silver handgun. Police issued an immediate campus-wide alert via ENN.

The situation was deemed “all-clear” at 11:50 a.m.

Parker Davis may be contacted at pdavis@themiamihurricane.com.

Parker Davis

Assistant News Editor

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...