News Briefs 8/25

Sebastian’s Café

Sebastian’s Café is now open at the Robert and Judi Prokop Newman Alumni Center featuring a casual bistro menu, indoor and outdoor seating, and a welcoming atmosphere. Located across from Alex Rodriguez Park, Sebastian’s Café is open to faculty, staff, students, and the general community.

Hours: Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.

Parking Permits

Enforcement of the “no valid UM permit” violation will not begin until Tuesday, Sept. 7. Anyone without a valid 2010-2011 permit will be asked to park in the Ponce Garage, in front of the BankUnited Center, and lots 42-43 under the Metrorail station. Lot restriction enforcement will begin on Aug. 25 to ensure appropriate lot designation depending on permit type.

For example, discount permit holders can park in discount lots only, commuter permits are valid in commuter lots only, and those with “no valid UM permit” can park in the aforementioned lots/garage only.

Students interested in obtaining a parking permit can apply through MyUM.

SoC Dean’s final year

School of Communication Dean Sam Grogg will be stepping down at the end of the 2010-2011 academic year, but will remain on the faculty and continue to work with students. The provost is organizing a search committee for his replacement; 12 faculty members representing the seven SoC programs have been nominated.

In an open letter to the School of Communication, Grogg wrote, “My term of five years is at an end. I will be teaching on the faculty and able to work more directly with you—an invigorating opportunity. And I am truly thankful for being able to contribute to the growth and success of your great School of Communication which is now celebrating its 25th year.”

Armed Robbery Near Campus

An armed robbery occurred Wednesday morning at Metro Bank, adjacent to the Gables One building on 1390 South Dixie Highway. The suspect was described as a white male wearing a black ski mask and black/gray jacket with a silver handgun. Police issued an immediate campus-wide alert via ENN.

The situation was deemed “all-clear” at 11:50 a.m.

Parker Davis may be contacted at pdavis@themiamihurricane.com.

Parker Davis

Assistant News Editor

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...