V's Take

Dear V: My boyfriend cheats on me with snacks

My boyfriend has the palate of a seven-year-old (Twinkies, soda, etc.), snacks all day and has gained 15 pounds. I exercise five times a week for his and my benefit—and I feel cheated! How do I get him to get in shape?

Sexy and the Beast

Dear Sexy and the Beast,

Well, first off, I have to say, let’s not get too shallow. I don’t know how long you two have been dating, but I’m sure there are more important things about your relationship than his extra few pounds from sugary sweets. I’m sure you wouldn’t like it if your boyfriend told you to drop a few. No woman does.

That being said, there are still some ways to encourage this guy to lift a little more iron and a little less Twinkies. Ask him to come with you to the gym so you guys can spend more time together (why wouldn’t he want to stand behind you and watch you jog in spandex, eh?). Or if he doesn’t want to go with you ask some of his buddies to
take him along. I’m sure he has at least one or two friends who work out together, and they can push it as “male- bonding time.”

If he’s not a big fan of the gym, try to do more activities together that involve walking. Leave the car at home and burn a few calories on the way out, or try going on a hike together. There are plenty of ways to get exercise without really making it seem like exercise.

Worst-case scenario, maybe this means you don’t need to put quite as much stress on yourself to look so good all the time. If he’s not willing to put in the hard work (or even a small amount of work), you don’t need to kill yourself at the gym “for his benefit.” If you love working out for you, that’s great! Just make sure it’s not only for him, because he certainly isn’t worried about his appearance for you.

Best of luck,

V.

Advice Columnist

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne, Kellen Winslow II, Jon Beason and Lamar Thomas were among the football ...

Miami came up short in Game 1 of a doubleheader Saturday afternoon, falling to visiting Pitt, 3-0, a ...

Canes shoot 2-under on back nine; Weber third overall at 2-under 70. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will conclude its regular season Sunday with a home d ...

Kevin Arreaga smashed a school record in the men's hammer throw to lead the University of Miami ...