Battle for the Bucket against the Seminoles

Junior Johanna Luna donates blood between classes.

Everyone knows about the football rivalry between UM and FSU, but the competitive spirit between the two schools has bled into other aspects of campus life. This week, UM will take on FSU in the second annual Battle for the Bucket blood drive.

“Last year was the first Battle for the Bucket and FSU didn’t do much,” said Emily Packard, vice chair of FunDay and an organizer for Battle for the Bucket. “This year they’ve amped it up, and obviously we’re hoping to do the same.”

UM took home the bucket trophy last year, raising 328 more pints of blood than FSU. This year, the organizers are hoping to keep the trophy in Miami by donating between 340 and 345 pints. FSU raised about 150 pints of blood last year.

Battle for the Bucket raises money for the University of Miami’s longest standing service day, FunDay. FunDay, which will be Feb. 19 this year, invites more than 300 special citizens from the Miami area to campus for a day of games and prizes. Battle for the Bucket raises $5 per pint of blood for FunDay.

“It’s a great way to start planning for FunDay,” FunDay chair Alyssa Laferrera said. “It takes a lot of money to do FunDay, so to raise money and donate blood is a win-win.”

To provide incentives for students to donate, Battle for the Bucket is offering free T-shirts, pints of Blue Bell ice cream and Fire Dog energy drinks. The Battle for the Bucket kick-off will be Wednesday at 1 p.m. at the Rock.

There will be two bloodmobiles at the Rock all day Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Donations can also be made in UC Ballroom A from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Wednesday and Thursday and UC Ballroom B on Friday. Battle for the Bucket is accepting donations from students, staff, faculty, alumni and friends of the University of Miami.

All blood donated during Battle for the Bucket will go to the Community Blood Centers of South Florida.

“The blood centers count on 800 donations a day,” Packard said. “With Labor Day weekend coming up, they won’t get that many donations, so UM students are helping the blood centers compensate for that weekend.”

The Community Blood Centers of South Florida provide blood to over 90 percent of the hospitals in Miami-Dade, Monroe, Broward and Palm Beach counties.

“The main reason we’re doing this is to raise awareness of the importance of blood donation,” said Alex Martinez of the community blood centers. “We’re educating the public.”

The organizers of Battle for the Bucket hope that taking on FSU so early in the year will help students get back into the competitive spirit, while allowing them to benefit the community as a whole.

“We’re starting off the year well,” Packard said. “It’s a great way to show your love for UM and the Miami community.”

Laura Edwins may be contacted at ledwins@themiamihurricane.com.

How to donate to Battle for the Bucket:

Wed.–Fri. at the bloodmobiles on Rock

Wed. and Thurs. 10 a.m.-4 p.m. in UC Ballroom A

Fri. 10 a.m.-4 p.m. in UC Ballroom B

Donate blood and receive:

– A free T-shirt
– A pint of Blue Bell ice cream
– A Fire Dog energy drink
– A chance to enter a raffle for event tickets

Laura Edwins

Managing Editor

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...