‘The Switch’ proves to be anything but typical

In the battle of 2010’s artificial insemination, romantic comedies- a surprisingly popular genre- there is little doubt that “The Switch” is the best of the bunch. It is not very hard to be better than Jennifer Lopez’s contender in the interminable and joyless “The Back-Up Plan,” but the funny thing is that “The Switch” is actually quite a good film based on its own merits. It isn’t groundbreaking by any means, but it is unexpectedly poignant and fairly witty. In a summer that sorely lacks enjoyable films, this is high praise indeed.

“The Switch” is the story of Kassie (Jennifer Aniston), a single woman who turns to artificial insemination, and Wally (Jason Bateman), her neurotic best friend who gets pathetically, hilariously drunk and switches her preferred sperm sample for his own. Seven years later, Kassie has Sebastian (Thomas Robinson), a son who is the spitting image of Wally, and Wally has a deep, dark secret of his own- surely a tale as old as time.

The film succeeds largely due to the performances of Bateman and Robinson. Bateman is at his deadpan, low-key best as Wally, a role in the same vein as his “Arrested Development” character Michael Bluth, and Robinson is absolutely adorable. He manages to avoid the grating precociousness that hinders most child actors and embraces Sebastian’s eccentricities and neuroses. It’s as impressive a performance as any from such a young actor.

Aniston is fairly bland as Kassie. Instead, Jeff Goldblum and Juliette Lewis steal their scenes as Wally and Kassie’s friends, and Patrick Wilson, as the preferred donor and presumptive father, does his best with an underwritten role.

While “The Switch” is at times formulaic, it is thoroughly charming, surprisingly touching and rarely trite. In a genre that sadly lacks edgy or innovative concepts, this might be what most audiences have been hoping for.

Sarah B. Pilchick may be contacted at sbpilchick@themiamihurricane.com.

Rating: 3/4 stars

Starring: Jason Bateman, Jennifer Aniston, Thomas Robinson

Directed By: Josh Gordon, Will Speck

MPAA Rating: PG-13

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...