BREAKING NEWS: Armed robbery near Gables campus, now ‘all clear’

UMPD sent out texts, e-mails and calls alerting the university community about an armed robbery near the Coral Gables campus around 10:24 a.m. Wednesday.

At 11:51 a.m. a follow-up e-mail cleared the campus and kept it under normal operations.

In the e-mail, it advised everyone to avoid the METRO BANK at 1390 South Dixie Highway, which is adjacent to the Gables One building.

The subject is described as a white male wearing a black ski mask and black or gray jacket with a silver handgun. The subject was last seen on foot running south, away from campus. Police have a large perimeter of the area.

It went on to say, “Think STAY, secure your area, take cover, alert others and take action for your safety. Get to a safe location and/or remain indoors. Close all doors and windows. Await further information.”

When information becomes available, it will be posted at miami.edu and via e-mail.

For updates, be sure to follow the story at themiamihurricane.com.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief