BREAKING NEWS: Armed robbery near Gables campus, now ‘all clear’

UMPD sent out texts, e-mails and calls alerting the university community about an armed robbery near the Coral Gables campus around 10:24 a.m. Wednesday.

At 11:51 a.m. a follow-up e-mail cleared the campus and kept it under normal operations.

In the e-mail, it advised everyone to avoid the METRO BANK at 1390 South Dixie Highway, which is adjacent to the Gables One building.

The subject is described as a white male wearing a black ski mask and black or gray jacket with a silver handgun. The subject was last seen on foot running south, away from campus. Police have a large perimeter of the area.

It went on to say, “Think STAY, secure your area, take cover, alert others and take action for your safety. Get to a safe location and/or remain indoors. Close all doors and windows. Await further information.”

When information becomes available, it will be posted at miami.edu and via e-mail.

For updates, be sure to follow the story at themiamihurricane.com.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...