BREAKING NEWS: Armed robbery near Gables campus, now ‘all clear’

UMPD sent out texts, e-mails and calls alerting the university community about an armed robbery near the Coral Gables campus around 10:24 a.m. Wednesday.

At 11:51 a.m. a follow-up e-mail cleared the campus and kept it under normal operations.

In the e-mail, it advised everyone to avoid the METRO BANK at 1390 South Dixie Highway, which is adjacent to the Gables One building.

The subject is described as a white male wearing a black ski mask and black or gray jacket with a silver handgun. The subject was last seen on foot running south, away from campus. Police have a large perimeter of the area.

It went on to say, “Think STAY, secure your area, take cover, alert others and take action for your safety. Get to a safe location and/or remain indoors. Close all doors and windows. Await further information.”

When information becomes available, it will be posted at miami.edu and via e-mail.

For updates, be sure to follow the story at themiamihurricane.com.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

It’s dress rehearsal time for the Miami Hurricanes. On Thursday morning, the Hurricanes will conduct ...

Coach Mark Richt had just told the young man who grew up loving the Miami Hurricanes that he would b ...

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' practice on Wed., Aug. 23, 2017. … Click to Continue » ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...