Textbook rentals reduce costs

Freshmen Alex Schrieks and Brandon Lay search for rentable textbooks in the Bookstore. Adrianne D'Angelo//Assistant Photo Editor

This fall semester the campus bookstore is helping reduce the costs of the college experience by introducing a textbook rental program.

Rent-A-Text, a service offered by the Follett Higher Education Group, allows students to rent over 2,200 required textbooks from the campus bookstore for an entire semester at a relatively low price.

“The prices between rentals and sales are drastically different,” said Pietro Bortoletto, vice president of Student Government. “For example, a chemistry book that would cost $157 new and $127 used would be offered at $73 for rental.”

Aside from the average 50 percent in savings, students are allowed to keep the rented book until the end of finals and may choose to buy it or receive a refund if they drop the class.

Though there seems to be a catch, there isn’t.

In fact, one of the biggest perks of the program is the ability to mark the textbooks with moderate highlighting and underlining.

“I would definitely use the rental option,” freshman Lina Hernandez said. “The fact that you can mark them makes it the best option.”

If textbooks are not returned or are returned damaged, students will be charged a flat fee that varies depending on how much was orginally spent on the book.

Textbooks are already available for rent, though not every course’s book titles are offered.

“We’re focusing on the bigger, general education classes first and then expanding the selection,” said senior Christina Farmer, president of Student Government.

The service was one of the major initiatives taken on by the UFirst platform, which was elected in the spring. Its goal to make things easier for students placed the cost of textbooks on the forefront.

“When I was running on the UFirst ticket, I heard from many students about the issue of textbook affordability,” Farmer said. “We worked on it through the summer with the bookstore and are very excited that it’s now available.”

To rent textbooks, students should visit the bookstore’s Web site to register for a rental account as listed on the homepage, which makes it faster to rent the text at the bookstore.

“I think it’s an excellent program. Books are one of the many expensive parts of college life, yet there’s really no financial aid for them,” said junior Michael Kaplan, a Student Government senator. “This is a better way for students to get books for cheap.”

For more information on Rent-A-Text, visit http://www.rent-a-text.com.

Nicolette Roque may be contacted at nroque@themiamihurricane.com.

Nicolette Roque

Assistant News Editor

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...

A freshman from Stratham, N.H., Rebecca Ripley of the Miami women's basketball team sat down wi ...

University of Miami standout Shakima Wimbley is headed to the 2017 IAAF World Championships in Londo ...