Student Government Special

Press secretary Ryan Aquilina. Brittney Bomnin//The Miami Hurricane

Student Government Putting U First

For all of our incoming freshmen, welcome to the U! You’re in for four years you will never forget. And for all of our returning students, welcome back home!

My name is Ryan Aquilina and I am the press secretary for Student Government (SG) this year. I will be writing about what SG is accomplishing on campus, what we’re looking to do and different events we have planned.

Our summer began with some unfortunate news, with elected Vice President Valentina Lamas having to leave the university for personal reasons. We were sad to see Val go, knowing how much passion and excitement she had for the things we were working on. SG President Christina Farmer appointed Pietro Bortoletto as interim vice president to make sure our ideas become a reality. In accordance with the SG constitution, Pietro will appear before the senate on Sept. 8 to be confirmed as the new vice president.

This summer, SG also unveiled a new Web site, www.miami.edu/SG, with an initiatives page to keep track of progress being made on all of our projects. In the spirit of our campaign goals, the Web site includes an idea generator which allows students to directly send us their ideas. We will read suggestions at weekly executive meetings and respond directly to the students. Students can also sign up to sit down for lunch with Christina every week at The Rat. The Rat has agreed to pick up the bill, giving students the opportunity to meet the face of SG, share their thoughts and ideas and enjoy a free lunch.

As part of SG’s new “’Canes Nights” program, we will be bringing everything from ICEE machines in the C-Store to $5 Marlins game tickets with a post-game Pitbull concert. With Coke, Red Cherry and Blue Raspberry as three confirmed ICEE flavors, we decided you, the students, should choose the fourth flavor. Be sure to go to www.themiamihurricane.com and vote for your favorite!

Interested in joining SG? Online filing for candidacy in one of our 27 open fall senate seats begins Aug. 23, with an information session Aug. 30 in UC 211 at 9:30 p.m. Other applications for open Cabinet, advisory board, and Supreme Court positions will be available for download on our Web site.

We’re excited for another great year in SG and at UM!

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter (UMiamiSG) and visit our Web site at www.miami.edu/SG.

Ryan Aquilina is the press secretary for Student Government and can be reached at r.aquilina@umiami.edu.

SG Dates to Remember:

Aug. 23- Online filing for candidacy begins

Aug. 30- Information session for Senate candidates in UC 211 at 9:30 p.m.

Sept. 1- First open Senate meeting (Wednesdays at 4:30 p.m. in the UC Ballrooms)

Sept. 4 -Marlins Game & Pitbull Concert for $5 (Tickets in Hecht/Stanford and STIC)

View photos of teenage recruits being taught by UM legends at Paradise Camp Saturday, July 22, 2017. ...

Mark Richt’s weekend began with a bunch of ninth- and 10th-grade recruits on Friday at a University ...

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...