Student Government Special

Press secretary Ryan Aquilina. Brittney Bomnin//The Miami Hurricane

Student Government Putting U First

For all of our incoming freshmen, welcome to the U! You’re in for four years you will never forget. And for all of our returning students, welcome back home!

My name is Ryan Aquilina and I am the press secretary for Student Government (SG) this year. I will be writing about what SG is accomplishing on campus, what we’re looking to do and different events we have planned.

Our summer began with some unfortunate news, with elected Vice President Valentina Lamas having to leave the university for personal reasons. We were sad to see Val go, knowing how much passion and excitement she had for the things we were working on. SG President Christina Farmer appointed Pietro Bortoletto as interim vice president to make sure our ideas become a reality. In accordance with the SG constitution, Pietro will appear before the senate on Sept. 8 to be confirmed as the new vice president.

This summer, SG also unveiled a new Web site, www.miami.edu/SG, with an initiatives page to keep track of progress being made on all of our projects. In the spirit of our campaign goals, the Web site includes an idea generator which allows students to directly send us their ideas. We will read suggestions at weekly executive meetings and respond directly to the students. Students can also sign up to sit down for lunch with Christina every week at The Rat. The Rat has agreed to pick up the bill, giving students the opportunity to meet the face of SG, share their thoughts and ideas and enjoy a free lunch.

As part of SG’s new “’Canes Nights” program, we will be bringing everything from ICEE machines in the C-Store to $5 Marlins game tickets with a post-game Pitbull concert. With Coke, Red Cherry and Blue Raspberry as three confirmed ICEE flavors, we decided you, the students, should choose the fourth flavor. Be sure to go to www.themiamihurricane.com and vote for your favorite!

Interested in joining SG? Online filing for candidacy in one of our 27 open fall senate seats begins Aug. 23, with an information session Aug. 30 in UC 211 at 9:30 p.m. Other applications for open Cabinet, advisory board, and Supreme Court positions will be available for download on our Web site.

We’re excited for another great year in SG and at UM!

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter (UMiamiSG) and visit our Web site at www.miami.edu/SG.

Ryan Aquilina is the press secretary for Student Government and can be reached at r.aquilina@umiami.edu.

SG Dates to Remember:

Aug. 23- Online filing for candidacy begins

Aug. 30- Information session for Senate candidates in UC 211 at 9:30 p.m.

Sept. 1- First open Senate meeting (Wednesdays at 4:30 p.m. in the UC Ballrooms)

Sept. 4 -Marlins Game & Pitbull Concert for $5 (Tickets in Hecht/Stanford and STIC)

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...

Six Hurricanes were in double figures as the Hurricanes improved to 3-0 on the season. ...

The University of Miami rowing team introduced the newest members of the Hurricanes rowing program o ...