Shuttle routes re-structured

The Department of Parking and Transportation Services has updated shuttle routes to run more efficiently.

Less is truly more when it comes to the Hurry’Cane shuttle service- less time that is.

The Department of Parking and Transportation Services has updated shuttle routes to run more efficiently. There will only be two direct routes instead of three: one from Stanford Circle to Ponce Garage and one from the Fountain to Ponce Garage.

The most common complaint from students using the shuttles was that they ran far behind schedule, leading to a long wait time between buses.

“The maximum wait time will [now]be around seven minutes,” said Richard Sobaram, director of Parking and Transportation Services.

The new system was tested by the parking and transportation staff themselves.

“We timed how long it took to get to certain stops during rush hour, when traffic [volume]was heaviest,” Sobaram said.

He promises that there will be as little as a five-minute walk to any destination from each stop.

The only negative effect of this new routing is that a few stops have been taken away.

UV residents living in Buildings 1-4 will have to catch shuttles on San Amaro Drive, in front of the Hecht Athletic Center, instead of the Albenga Garage stop. Students living in Mahoney/Pearson will now have to walk to Stanford Drive to catch the shuttle.

“The majority of my classes are in Flipse and the [School of Communication] building,” junior Shaquayla Mims, a Mahoney resident, said. “I would rather have a shuttle that is prompt in picking me up. What’s the point of a shuttle stop being close if you’re going to be waiting there forever for the shuttle to even come?”

Student Government was also involved in this decision to make changes to the routes. Improving parking and transportation around campus was one of the platforms during President Christina Farmer’s campaign last semester.

“We are happy with the new system,” Farmer said.

She ensured that Student Government will make sure that all students are informed of these changes so there will not be any confusion and is confident that these changes will benefit students.

“We had to think logically,” Student Government Press Secretary Ryan Aquilina said. “It just makes more sense.”

Although students may have to walk a little farther to catch a shuttle, it is guaranteed that they will not have to wait as long for it to arrive. For instance, instead of riding down Stanford Drive to get to Stanford Circle, the shuttles will go down Merrick Street, which instantly cuts off five minutes of traveling time.

Aside from the Hurry’Cane shuttles, Ibis Ride will be available to students starting Sept. 16. This shuttle will pick up students from Stanford Circle and take them to Coconut Grove on Thursday and Friday nights from 9 p.m. until 2 a.m.

For longer trips, the university also provides students with Zipcar. Students using Zipcar can rent a car at an hourly rate of $8 that includes both gas and insurance after paying a $35 yearly fee. They can also be parked for free at any university parking lot. Zipcars can be reserved on the telephone or at zipcar.com.

Olivia Woolbright may be contacted at owoolbright@themiamihurricane.com.

About Author

Olivia Woolbright

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...