Shuttle routes re-structured

The Department of Parking and Transportation Services has updated shuttle routes to run more efficiently.

Less is truly more when it comes to the Hurry’Cane shuttle service- less time that is.

The Department of Parking and Transportation Services has updated shuttle routes to run more efficiently. There will only be two direct routes instead of three: one from Stanford Circle to Ponce Garage and one from the Fountain to Ponce Garage.

The most common complaint from students using the shuttles was that they ran far behind schedule, leading to a long wait time between buses.

“The maximum wait time will [now]be around seven minutes,” said Richard Sobaram, director of Parking and Transportation Services.

The new system was tested by the parking and transportation staff themselves.

“We timed how long it took to get to certain stops during rush hour, when traffic [volume]was heaviest,” Sobaram said.

He promises that there will be as little as a five-minute walk to any destination from each stop.

The only negative effect of this new routing is that a few stops have been taken away.

UV residents living in Buildings 1-4 will have to catch shuttles on San Amaro Drive, in front of the Hecht Athletic Center, instead of the Albenga Garage stop. Students living in Mahoney/Pearson will now have to walk to Stanford Drive to catch the shuttle.

“The majority of my classes are in Flipse and the [School of Communication] building,” junior Shaquayla Mims, a Mahoney resident, said. “I would rather have a shuttle that is prompt in picking me up. What’s the point of a shuttle stop being close if you’re going to be waiting there forever for the shuttle to even come?”

Student Government was also involved in this decision to make changes to the routes. Improving parking and transportation around campus was one of the platforms during President Christina Farmer’s campaign last semester.

“We are happy with the new system,” Farmer said.

She ensured that Student Government will make sure that all students are informed of these changes so there will not be any confusion and is confident that these changes will benefit students.

“We had to think logically,” Student Government Press Secretary Ryan Aquilina said. “It just makes more sense.”

Although students may have to walk a little farther to catch a shuttle, it is guaranteed that they will not have to wait as long for it to arrive. For instance, instead of riding down Stanford Drive to get to Stanford Circle, the shuttles will go down Merrick Street, which instantly cuts off five minutes of traveling time.

Aside from the Hurry’Cane shuttles, Ibis Ride will be available to students starting Sept. 16. This shuttle will pick up students from Stanford Circle and take them to Coconut Grove on Thursday and Friday nights from 9 p.m. until 2 a.m.

For longer trips, the university also provides students with Zipcar. Students using Zipcar can rent a car at an hourly rate of $8 that includes both gas and insurance after paying a $35 yearly fee. They can also be parked for free at any university parking lot. Zipcars can be reserved on the telephone or at zipcar.com.

Olivia Woolbright may be contacted at owoolbright@themiamihurricane.com.

Olivia Woolbright

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Defending national champ Clemson led all Atlantic Coast Conference schools Wednesday with five playe ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...

The University of Miami announced the appointment of Cindy Munro as the new dean of the School of Nu ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

University of Miami’s Office of Civic and Community Engagement harnesses technology to seek affordab ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...