News Briefs 8/23

Florida licensing on wheels

The University of Miami Police Department is bringing the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Mini-FLOW (Florida Licensing on Wheels) program to campus during the first week of classes. Eligible students can renew, replace or obtain a Florida’s driver’s license as well as switch an out-of-state license for one from Florida. Vehicle registration can also be renewed. Written exams and driving tests will not be offered. No appointment is necessary.

University Center- First Floor Lounge

Wednesday from 9:30 a.m. to 3:15 p.m.
Thursday from 9:30 a.m. to 3:15 p.m.
Friday from 9:30 a.m. to 3:15 p.m.

More information is available at www.miami.edu/police.

Student Employment Fair

Offices offering part-time and work study student employment will set up informational booths Monday from 11 a.m.- 1 p.m. in the UC Lower Lounge. Interested students should bring a copy of their resume and their class schedule.

Canes place in Red Bull Flugtag

A team of University of Miami students won second place in the Red Bull Flugtag competition at Bayfront Park July 10. The annual event focuses on attempts at human flight in which teams pilot their machines off a 30-foot deck into Biscayne Bay. Engineers Guillermo Amador, Derek Schesser, Dustin Griner, William T. Hagen and Randall Schwartz modeled their aircraft after Sebastian the Ibis, outfitting it with the mascot’s familiar corncob pipe and intimidating snarl.

Miss Universe 2010 Pageant

Tamika Henry, a recent University of Miami graduate, will compete in the Miss Universe Pageant in Las Vegas, Nev. The 22 year old was recently crowned Miss Guyana Universe. On Monday, she will compete for the international crown live on NBC and Telemundo at 9 p.m.

Bus stickers to be available

Students can pick up stickers to ride the bus to Sun Life Stadium for UM football games at the University Center Info Desk. For the first game, which will take place Thursday, Sept. 2, sticker distribution will begin Thursday and will end Monday, Aug. 30. For every game afterward, stickers will be available starting one week prior to the game and ending at 5 p.m. the Wednesday before the game.

Buses will leave from the BankUnited Center starting three hours before kickoff, with the last bus running at kickoff time.  Buses return to campus starting at halftime and will continue for 45 minutes after the end of each game.

Freshmen may ride in a special group of buses for the first game on Sept. 2.  Times and instructions are available from Resident Assistants and Orientation staff.

Items such as food, drinks, backpacks and umbrellas will not be allowed on the buses. All students are required to bring are their Cane Cards with bus stickers attached.

Season discount parking passes are also available at the Hecht Athletic Center, University Center and Wellness Center for $75.

Parker Davis may be contacted at pdavis@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexandra Leon may be contacted at aleon@themiamihurricane.com.

Parker Davis

Assistant News Editor

USA Diving announced the recipients of its annual awards at a ceremony in conjunction with the 2017 ...