Goodbye to a Cane

During a family vacation in Redington Beach, Fla., rising UM sophomore and rugby player Kelly McConnell was on his way back from watching a late showing of “Predators” when he was killed in a car accident.

At approximately 12:45 a.m. on Sunday, Aug. 1, 20-year-old Demetrius Jordan, driving under the influence of alcohol and marijuana, crashed his car into McConnell’s.

McConnell was joined by his father Elroy “Roy” Jr., 51, and brothers Elroy “Roy” III, 28, and Nathan, 24, all of whom were killed instantly.

The vacation had been planned to coincide with McConnell’s birthday along with Nathan and his wife’s fourth anniversary. McConnell had just turned 19 on July 30.

The accident left Roy Jr., Roy III and Nathan’s wives widows, while Roy III’s newborn son and Nathan’s young daughter were left fatherless. McConnell’s girlfriend Celine Parietti, a student at UM, was with the family when the accident occurred.

Friends and family have filled McConnell’s Facebook page with fond memories and loving statements.

“If you can read Kelly’s page, it is my broken heart that is writing this,” McConnell’s grandmother, Patricia Voelker, said.

Students who played rugby with McConnell have also left their condolences. One student summed up her teammates thoughts.

“I know that I speak for everyone on the guys’ and girls’ team when I say you were an amazing person and you will be greatly missed,” Amy Alexander said on McConnell’s Facebook wall.

Alexandra Leon may be contacted at aleon@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...