Gaming expo Tuesday to promote military careers

The Florida Army National Guard will partner up with Interactive Gaming Experience (IGX) to bring its first free video game exhibit to the University of Miami campus Tuesday in the University Center breezeway.

From 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., students will be able to gather around 17 game ports that support Nintendo Wii, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 platforms.

“Video games vary from a hobby to a borderline religion on campus,” senior Patrick Sully said. “It should draw a decent crowd. The size might be dictated by how hot it is in the breezeway.”

The games featured include the sports classic, Madden NFL ’11, UFC Undisputed 2010, NCAA Football ’11 and top worldwide seller Call of Duty 2: Modern Warfare.

Attending students can also sign up for any of the three tournaments offered 30 minutes prior to the exhibit’s start, and prizes will be presented to all the winners.

The video game exhibit is an innovative effort by the Florida National Guard to reach out to students across the state. Other participant schools include Florida International University and Florida Atlantic University, among 12 others.

“We are constantly looking for innovative, imaginative ways to be in conversation with high quality young men and women about a career in the Guard and we have found the Interactive Game Experience to be a really effective vehicle for this mission,” Lieutenant Colonel Bill Mitchell said in an official statement.

Thirty popular games will be featured in total, showcased by IGX, a company that brings video game exhibits to different venues around the country.

“I think this is a much more original and creative way to get students’ attention,” senior Felicitas Massa said. “A video game exhibit is a really well thought-out idea because it still appeals to almost everyone’s interests and it’s something that hasn’t really been done before.”

Claudia Aguirre may be contacted at caguirre@themiamihurricane.com.

Claudia Aguirre

Contributing EDGE Writer

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...