Escaping your crazy roommate

The school year has begun, and the long-awaited time has come to meet your random roommate. After some pre-introduction phone calls to decide who’s bringing the mini-fridge, the rug and the curtains, you start to wonder what’s behind the cell phone and have thoughts of, “What if they smell bad? What if they’re a kleptomaniac!?”

Well… things topple over when you find out that he or she isn’t exactly who you originally signed up for.

In need of an escape? Looking for some fresh air far from the Hecht/Stanford tables? Check out these getaways and your nightmare roommate will be cleared from your mind in no time.

For those without a car, the UM campus holds two secret hiding places known to seasoned Hurricanes as “the pit” and the Gifford Arboretum. One of the finest gems on campus, the pit is a mysterious man-made hole behind the Dooley Memorial building where friends go to read, chat or even to sort out their budding thoughts of their dopey roommate.

UM graduate student David Tayloe describes the pit as “a serene place that’s completely out of touch with the rest of the UM campus.”

Have a car and need to go somewhere that feels like a well-deserved vacation? Try heading to Fritz & Franz Bierhaus. With waiters and waitresses clad in authentic lederhosen and dirndls, it has the atmosphere of a bier garden in Germany.

Senior Megan Wise, frequent Fritz and Franz-er, recommends this restaurant because of its “good food, good beer and a good escape to somewhere for an otherworldly experience.”

For a scenic venture into the outdoors, head to Matheson Hammock Park. The park has many options, including renting a kayak, going for a ride on the bike trail, having a picnic or going fishing.

Check out these places to bring ease and relaxation to your mind after a bad experience meeting the roommate from hell.

Carey Goldenberg may be contacted at cgoldenberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Carey Goldenberg

Senior EDGE Writer

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...