Delivering a message of global unity

At the 2010 New Student Convocation on Friday, Fareed Zakaria spoke as the distinguished lecturer to the incoming class of 2014.

Brought to the stage by President Donna  E. Shalala, Zakaria spoke to the crowd mainly about what the future holds for the global community and how he sees the current generation fitting into it.

“I think that the key for college students for the future is to help Americans help their country realize how different a world we live in now,” Zakaria said. “It really isn’t their father’s world, and [students]recognize that almost intuitively because of who their classmates are because of the way you’re growing up.”

With his left hand in his pocket and his right orchestrating the speech, Zakaria touched on topics ranging from his recent experience dealing with Libyan President Muammar al-Gaddafi and his “Amazonian Guard,” to explaining how Ross Perot could remain a Populist while being a billionaire.

But regardless of what tone the lecture took, from light-hearted to insightful, Zakaria’s message of an ever-increasingly connected world stayed the same.

And as for what role the University of Miami will play in the global landscape, he believes it to be that of an example for the rest to follow.

“[UM] is one of the great melting pots of America,” Zakaria said. “And yet it has been able to maintain great academic excellence, excellence in sports, so to me it’s a model of what the country should be able to become. That’s a pretty good model for the country.”

Austen Gregerson may be contacted at agregerson@themiamihurricane.com.

Austen Gregerson

Staff Columnist

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...