Letter from the President

This past summer while most of you were taking a well-earned break, one of your fellow students was killed with his father and two brothers by a 20-year-old drunk driver.

His name was Kelly McConnell. We will join his friends and teachers for a memorial service for him on campus this semester.  He would have been a sophomore, a member of the class of 2013.

Kelly was a brilliant student- a funny guy- who was loved by his rugby teammates.

He worked in the marketing department as a student assistant. He was majoring in accounting.

He was a young man of great poise and promise. He had just celebrated his 19th birthday.

He was cut down tragically by a stupid, irresponsible driver who had been drinking. This year, more than 11,000 people will lose their lives to drunk drivers.

I know you receive all sorts of mixed messages. Young people hear a lot of empty lectures these days.

People tell you that alcohol use is dangerous. But then you see advertisements and TV shows and movies that glorify drinking.

People tell you that you don’t have to drink to have a great time. But then you go to parties and clubs where almost everyone is drinking.

Personal responsibility means standing up for something you know in your hearts is right. And working together to stop substance use and impaired driving can save lives.

If you’re underage, don’t drink. If your friends drink, don’t let them drive home. Take their keys.

We need more Canes caring for Canes.

Our young friend Kelly will never walk across our beautiful campus on a sunny day in September.

He won’t get to go with his friends to see the Miami Hurricanes beat Florida State on Oct. 9.

He won’t be pulling an all-nighter studying and writing papers to finish this semester.

What I wanted for him I want for each of you: wonderful learning semesters at an exceptional university, a glorious graduation day, a job or graduate school and fabulous futures.

Have a safe semester. Take care of each other.

Donna E. Shalala is the president of the University of Miami.

Donna E. Shalala

President of the University of Miami

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...