A look at athletics while ‘U’ were gone

News comes from the University of Miami Athletic Department in an endless cycle. Even in the summer months after school ends, teams still battle and student athletes find success on the playing fields.

Follow the ups and downs surrounding Miami Hurricane sports in the timeline below.

May 12 – Head football coach Randy Shannon signs a four-year contract extension.

May 24 – Junior catcher Yasmani Grandal is named ACC Player of the Year.

June 1 – UM basketball adds transfer Trey McKinney-Jones to its roster. The guard transferred from University of Missouri-Kansas City.

June 7 – Grandal is drafted 12th overall in the 2010 MLB draft by the Cincinnati Reds.

June 10 – Head women’s basketball coach Katie Meier receives a five-year contract extension.

June 11– Sophomore point guard Durand Scott participates in Chris Paul’s basketball camp in Winston-Salem.

June 13- Miami loses to Florida in the Super Regional in Gainesville to end its season.

June 25 – Power forward Dwayne Collins is selected in the second round of the NBA draft by the Phoenix Suns.

July 9 – Highly regarded offensive lineman Seantrel Henderson chooses to attend UM after being released from his scholarship at USC. The Trojans suffered NCAA sanctions.

July 13– Senior track runners Ti’erra Brown and Tameka Jameson win gold medals at the NACAC Championships.

July 28 – Three Hurricane football players are named to the pre-season All-ACC Team (Allen Bailey, Matt Bosher and Brandon Harris).

July 31– Defensive end Steven Wesley and wide receiver Thearon Collier are dismissed from the football team for undisclosed reasons.

Aug. 4 – Junior guard Shenise Johnson is named to the “Wade Watch” list for the State Farm Wade Trophy Division 1 Player of the Year.

Aug. 5 – The Hurricanes officially begin fall football training camp.

Aug. 6 – UM basketball adds transfer Kenny Kadji to its roster. The center transferred from the University of Florida.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

Justin Antweil

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...