Journalist covers controversial issues at UM convocation

As part of the New Student Convocation activities during Orientation 2010, Fareed Zakaria, Indian-American host of CNN’s GPS, editor of Newsweek International and a columnist for Newsweek and the Washington Post, was invited to lecture at the University of Miami Friday.

At the convocation, Zakaria spoke about his best-selling book, “The Future of Freedom,” which analyzes the various political and financial aspects required for a true liberal democracy to flourish. He also discussed the key differences between the tenets of American democracy and liberty and those of other countries. Zakaria further delved into the current conflicts between markets and mass politics.

Toward the end of the lecture, students asked questions ranging from the continuing U.S economic crisis to the validity of the statement categorizing the United States as a “superpower.”

On the current controversial issue of building a Muslim community center two blocks away from Ground Zero in New York City, Zakaria has taken a stance in favor of the construction of the center. He believes that every individual residing in the United States has been guaranteed the freedom to practice his or her religion by the First Amendment, hence the individual should retain the right to do so, regardless of the place of worship.

Open to the University of Miami community, the event had over 2,500 attendees and was described by UM Media Relations Coordinator Barbara Gutierrez as “a successful event”.

Sanakausar Shamji may be contacted at sshamji@themiamihurricane.com.

Sanakausar Shamji

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...