UM ranked #47 in “Best Colleges”

Sorry Gators, the University of Miami is officially the number one school in Florida according to the 2011 edition of U.S. News & World Report’s annual “Best Colleges in America” issue.

The rankings, which were released Tuesday at midnight, put UM on top for the first time, followed by UF and FSU in the state. Nationally, UM now ranks 47th, up from 50th last year. UM shares the position with Penn State and the University of Illinois.

In addition, U.S. News ranked UM 48th in its “Great Schools, Great Prices” category.

“I was shocked,” President Donna E. Shalala said. “I’m so proud of our students, faculty, and staff for working hard to make this happen.”

Since Shalala took over the presidency in 2001, the university has managed to climb 20 slots, making UM one of the fastest-rising institutions in recent history.

“I’m excited about how fast we’ve moved,” Shalala said. “No one has ever really done that before.”

The rankings are based on several criteria, including peer assessment, graduation and retention rates, faculty resources, student selectivity and alumni giving.

“We’ve worked so hard to get to this point,” Shalala said. “Now let’s focus on the fact that UM is getting better and will continue to do so.”

Megan Terilli may be contacted at mterilli@themiamihurricane.com.

Megan Terilli

Contributing EDGE Writer

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...