UM ranked #47 in “Best Colleges”

Sorry Gators, the University of Miami is officially the number one school in Florida according to the 2011 edition of U.S. News & World Report’s annual “Best Colleges in America” issue.

The rankings, which were released Tuesday at midnight, put UM on top for the first time, followed by UF and FSU in the state. Nationally, UM now ranks 47th, up from 50th last year. UM shares the position with Penn State and the University of Illinois.

In addition, U.S. News ranked UM 48th in its “Great Schools, Great Prices” category.

“I was shocked,” President Donna E. Shalala said. “I’m so proud of our students, faculty, and staff for working hard to make this happen.”

Since Shalala took over the presidency in 2001, the university has managed to climb 20 slots, making UM one of the fastest-rising institutions in recent history.

“I’m excited about how fast we’ve moved,” Shalala said. “No one has ever really done that before.”

The rankings are based on several criteria, including peer assessment, graduation and retention rates, faculty resources, student selectivity and alumni giving.

“We’ve worked so hard to get to this point,” Shalala said. “Now let’s focus on the fact that UM is getting better and will continue to do so.”

Megan Terilli may be contacted at mterilli@themiamihurricane.com.

Megan Terilli

Contributing EDGE Writer

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...