Football

Defensive end Steven Wesley no longer on football team

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive lineman Steven Wesley will not be part of the 2010 Hurricanes squad.

Wesley, a 6-2, 250 pound pass rusher, compiled 44 tackles in his University of Miami career. Last year he was instrumental in Miami’s 33-17 victory over eventual ACC champion Georgia Tech when he recorded two tackles for a loss.

There was no clear reason why Wesley will not be part of the football team this year. Wesley attempted to clear up various rumors on his Facebook account Saturday afternoon.

“To clear all the rumors no [I’m] not academically ineligible nor did I get kicked off the team for any off the field issues,” Wesley said in his status. He went on to state, “but I [won’t] be playing football at the U next season.”

UM is extremely deep on the defensive line. Senior Allen Bailey and junior Adewale Ojomo are expected to start at defensive end while juniors Marcus Robinson and Andrew Smith as well as sophomore Olivier Vernon are expected to see ample playing time as well.

The Hurricanes begin fall training camp Aug. 5. The season opener is Sept. 2 vs. FAMU.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

Justin Antweil

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Defensive end Steven Wesley no longer on football team”

1. Darby says:

Mark, did you actually read the article? There was no defamation, no accusations of academic ineligibility, no comments on the kind of shape he’s in, and no mention of off the field issues. The article says it’s not clear why he is leaving the program. The only time ineligibility is mentioned is in a quote from Wesley saying that’s not the issue. I’m not sure what article you were reading but there was nothing negative said in this one.

2. Mark says:

Where are you people getting this crap from?? Wesley is academically eligible and he is in good fitness condition.. There are no off the field issues – stop defaming this young man’s character.. this is wrong at so many levels what Miami is doing to this student. Is this how this school treats students athletes? Wesley you are a fine young man – I wish you had chosen a better school to play for .. A school where the student body and its journalism students would take the time to find out the facts and support their teammate and fellow student before rushing to negative comments and buying the admministration stories.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...