Football

Defensive end Steven Wesley no longer on football team

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive lineman Steven Wesley will not be part of the 2010 Hurricanes squad.

Wesley, a 6-2, 250 pound pass rusher, compiled 44 tackles in his University of Miami career. Last year he was instrumental in Miami’s 33-17 victory over eventual ACC champion Georgia Tech when he recorded two tackles for a loss.

There was no clear reason why Wesley will not be part of the football team this year. Wesley attempted to clear up various rumors on his Facebook account Saturday afternoon.

“To clear all the rumors no [I’m] not academically ineligible nor did I get kicked off the team for any off the field issues,” Wesley said in his status. He went on to state, “but I [won’t] be playing football at the U next season.”

UM is extremely deep on the defensive line. Senior Allen Bailey and junior Adewale Ojomo are expected to start at defensive end while juniors Marcus Robinson and Andrew Smith as well as sophomore Olivier Vernon are expected to see ample playing time as well.

The Hurricanes begin fall training camp Aug. 5. The season opener is Sept. 2 vs. FAMU.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

Justin Antweil

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Defensive end Steven Wesley no longer on football team”

1. Darby says:

Mark, did you actually read the article? There was no defamation, no accusations of academic ineligibility, no comments on the kind of shape he’s in, and no mention of off the field issues. The article says it’s not clear why he is leaving the program. The only time ineligibility is mentioned is in a quote from Wesley saying that’s not the issue. I’m not sure what article you were reading but there was nothing negative said in this one.

2. Mark says:

Where are you people getting this crap from?? Wesley is academically eligible and he is in good fitness condition.. There are no off the field issues – stop defaming this young man’s character.. this is wrong at so many levels what Miami is doing to this student. Is this how this school treats students athletes? Wesley you are a fine young man – I wish you had chosen a better school to play for .. A school where the student body and its journalism students would take the time to find out the facts and support their teammate and fellow student before rushing to negative comments and buying the admministration stories.

The Miami Hurricanes, still waiting for a starting quarterback to be named, are in the top 25 again. ...

Happy first day of school for everyone out there, including the University of Miami students. We jus ...