Football

Defensive end Steven Wesley no longer on football team

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive lineman Steven Wesley will not be part of the 2010 Hurricanes squad.

Wesley, a 6-2, 250 pound pass rusher, compiled 44 tackles in his University of Miami career. Last year he was instrumental in Miami’s 33-17 victory over eventual ACC champion Georgia Tech when he recorded two tackles for a loss.

There was no clear reason why Wesley will not be part of the football team this year. Wesley attempted to clear up various rumors on his Facebook account Saturday afternoon.

“To clear all the rumors no [I’m] not academically ineligible nor did I get kicked off the team for any off the field issues,” Wesley said in his status. He went on to state, “but I [won’t] be playing football at the U next season.”

UM is extremely deep on the defensive line. Senior Allen Bailey and junior Adewale Ojomo are expected to start at defensive end while juniors Marcus Robinson and Andrew Smith as well as sophomore Olivier Vernon are expected to see ample playing time as well.

The Hurricanes begin fall training camp Aug. 5. The season opener is Sept. 2 vs. FAMU.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

Justin Antweil

University of Miami football coach Mark Richt made it clearer than ever on Wednesday: Come the Sept. ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...

The Canes are well represented across the nation this summer with players competing in each of the t ...

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...