Soccer player maintains family legacy

When Ashlee Burt decided to enroll at the University of Miami in 2008, she continued an athletic tradition started by her father, Jim Burt, Sr., who played football with the Canes.

In addition, her brother Jim Burt, Jr., was an outfielder on the 2001 UM baseball team that won the College World Series.

Burt carries on the athletic pedigree as a key member of the women’s soccer team.

Two seasons ago she was one of just three freshmen to start all 22 matches. This past year her biggest moment came on the west coast when she scored the lone goal as Miami defeated No. 20 Washington 1-0.

She vividly recalls attending her brother’s baseball games when he played from 2001 to 2004 at then-Mark Light Field.

“I love the area,” Ashlee said of Coral Gables. “It was like some of the best memories I had were here watching my brother play, so when I came back here I had all these memories of good times.”

Her father was a two-time All-American and played for the orange and green from 1978 until 1980. He would go on to win two Super Bowls with the New York Giants and the San Francisco 49ers as a defensive lineman.

Ashlee didn’t always want to come to the University of Miami.

“I kind of just wanted to do something different, just to be different, but in the end this is the right choice,” she said.

Burt chose UM over Virginia, Princeton and Boston College.

The New Jersey native had a strong desire to attend an Atlantic Coast Conference school, seen by many as the top soccer conference in the country.

It was not until she met head coach Tricia Taliaferro that she realized the University of Miami was the perfect place for her.

“I think for her it was stepping on campus and interacting,” Taliaferro said. “There was a good connection. She is very much a blue-collar worker, something I really push for on the team.”

Ashlee’s mentality has allowed her to be a starter since her arrival. The left-side defender has turned into one of the leaders of the team. Her parents usually make the trip down to watch her, just as they did with her brother.

“She brings her competitive spirit and work ethic to the team,” Taliaferro said. “She leads by example, takes points to push her teammates in a way in which her teammates respect her.”

Ashlee often seeks advice from her brother. Jim has even helped her train during the off-season.

“Miami is a great school and a great program, and I knew it was a place where she could be an impact player and help build the program,” Jim said.

Debora Rubi may be contacted at drubi@themiamihurricane.com.

Debora Rubi

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...