Hall of Fame coach retires after 27 years

The end of the women’s golf season this year also brought with it the end of a reign by one of the longest-tenured Hurricane coaches.

Lela Cannon stepped down as head coach of the women’s golf team after 27 years.

Among her remarkable accomplishments were five state championships and a national championship in her first year with UM.

The Hall of Fame coach announced her decision to retire in November.

“I really have enjoyed my time at the University,” she said back in December. “The University of Miami has been my home for the last 27 years, and I will continue to support the Hurricanes.”

Heading into the season, the squad was relatively young, with three freshmen, two sophomores and two juniors making up the roster.

However, the team did have its fair share of success as the season progressed.

The Hurricanes finished eighth out of 17 teams at the Hurricane Invitational in February.

It also took first place at the Edwin Watts/Kiawah Classic, the largest collegiate women’s tournament, for the second straight year.

Miami ended its season in the Atlantic Coast Conference Tournament in Greensboro, N.C., where the Hurricanes placed eighth out of nine teams, finishing just ahead of Boston College.

Rising junior Begona Sarabia recorded the best score for the Canes, finishing at 21-over par.

Taking over the reins for the Hurricanes will be Patti Rizzo, a former UM All-American and 20-year veteran on the Ladies Professional Golf Association (LPGA).

She comes in after coaching Barry University for five seasons, leading them to a top -10 national ranking in each of her five years.

“I’m extremely excited. I’ve been dreaming of this opportunity,” Rizzo said in April. “I started my career at the University of Miami and things have come full circle where I have the chance to finish up where I started.

“I am so appreciative of the support from my family, friends and the people at Miami. I am just so thrilled to be back.”

The golf team starts the new season in mid-September.

Information for this article was compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at esuarez@themiamihurricane.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...