Diver concludes stellar four-year career

Senior Reuben Ross capped off his collegiate career with a fifth-place finish in the 1-meter springboard at the NCAA Men’s Championships in Ohio this past spring.

Swimming and diving season kicked off in early October, with the Hurricanes starting off with tough losses against Clemson, Georgia Tech and Western Kentucky.

Although the team lost out on some wins due to not competing in the diving portions of competition, there was improvement across the board in the swimmers’ times.

At the Ohio State Invitational in December, the Canes were able to piece together fifth out of 15 teams.

Rising sophomore Christine Anderson finished first in the C finals of the 200-yard breaststroke and rising junior Erin Simpson collected a UM-best mark in the 200-yard butterfly.

“The girls swam really well today,” head coach Christie Shefchunas had said after the first day of competition. “We had a lot of breakthrough swims for a lot of ladies. Today wasn’t even supposed to be a strong day for us, but everyone did well.”

Miami ended its season 10th overall at the ACC championships in Chapel Hill, N.C.

Individually, rising senior Annika Saarnak finished 13th in the 100-meter freestyle, which earned her an NCAA “B” cut qualifying time.  Rising junior Roxanne Meyer captured third in the C-Finals in the 200 backstroke.

Ross was the only member of the squad who competed in the NCAA Zone Championships and NCAA Championships, and was named to the ESPN The Magazine Academic All-District III for the second year.

“There is no doubt Miami swimming and diving is a program on the rise,” newly hired assistant coach Shaun Zitani said.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at esuarez@themiamihurricane.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

The Miami Hurricanes, still waiting for a starting quarterback to be named, are in the top 25 again. ...

Happy first day of school for everyone out there, including the University of Miami students. We jus ...