Wellness Center expansion shifts workouts

With construction well underway, the expansion of the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center will be finalized by mid-February 2011. The current phase of construction will remain the same through the summer and into the first half of the fall semester.
As a result of overcrowding due to a dramatic increase in the student population, designs and renderings for a double-sized fitness room, two multi-purpose rooms and new restrooms began in December 2009.
The indoor fitness room will increase the facility’s size from 6,800 square feet to 10,000 square feet. The additional space will allow for about 50 new pieces of cardio equipment, new classes and state-of-the art light and sound systems. The temporary inconveniences that currently exist will only give way to a more comfortable and adaptable Wellness Center.
“We’ll be able to leave the weight training equipment and the weights in the fitness room until around Thanksgiving,” Director of the Wellness Center Norm Parsons said. “Everything will be usable besides the outdoor basketball courts.”
Center Court will serve as a main space for cardiovascular equipment like treadmills and elliptical machines, while the existing fitness room is slowly transformed into construction staging areas.
“Obviously there’s a little bit of an inconvenience because it’s not the same atmosphere,” said Alana Jones, a rising sophomore fitness assistant at the Wellness Center. “But you can still come get your workout and benefit from having the equipment available.”
The Wellness Center staff will continue to establish a close relationship with its patrons throughout the different stages of construction. E-mail messages, Facebook, Twitter and white boards found throughout the Wellness Center will assist in keeping gym users well-informed on the status of the expansion. The overall organization of the expansion process is designed to keep the majority of equipment available and group classes on schedule.
Incoming freshmen will also be updated on the process of construction. According to Parsons, the transition of new students during the orientation process this upcoming fall will be in small, tour-like groups. There will be no grand opening.
Parsons said the greatest challenges lie in managing the staff and guests through the inconvenience and as the construction process unravels.
“With all good things sometimes we have to take a half a step backwards in order to go two steps forward,” he said. “So for now, we will put up with the inconveniences.”
Jonathan Borge may be contacted at jborge@themiamihurricane.com.

With construction well underway, the expansion of the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center will be finalized by mid-February 2011. The current phase of construction will remain the same through the summer and into the first half of the fall semester.As a result of overcrowding due to a dramatic increase in the student population, designs and renderings for a double-sized fitness room, two multi-purpose rooms and new restrooms began in December 2009.The indoor fitness room will increase the facility’s size from 6,800 square feet to 10,000 square feet. The additional space will allow for about 50 new pieces of cardio equipment, new classes and state-of-the art light and sound systems. The temporary inconveniences that currently exist will only give way to a more comfortable and adaptable Wellness Center.“We’ll be able to leave the weight training equipment and the weights in the fitness room until around Thanksgiving,” Director of the Wellness Center Norm Parsons said. “Everything will be usable besides the outdoor basketball courts.”Center Court will serve as a main space for cardiovascular equipment like treadmills and elliptical machines, while the existing fitness room is slowly transformed into construction staging areas.“Obviously there’s a little bit of an inconvenience because it’s not the same atmosphere,” said Alana Jones, a rising sophomore fitness assistant at the Wellness Center. “But you can still come get your workout and benefit from having the equipment available.”The Wellness Center staff will continue to establish a close relationship with its patrons throughout the different stages of construction. E-mail messages, Facebook, Twitter and white boards found throughout the Wellness Center will assist in keeping gym users well-informed on the status of the expansion. The overall organization of the expansion process is designed to keep the majority of equipment available and group classes on schedule.Incoming freshmen will also be updated on the process of construction. According to Parsons, the transition of new students during the orientation process this upcoming fall will be in small, tour-like groups. There will be no grand opening.Parsons said the greatest challenges lie in managing the staff and guests through the inconvenience and as the construction process unravels.“With all good things sometimes we have to take a half a step backwards in order to go two steps forward,” he said. “So for now, we will put up with the inconveniences.”

Jonathan Borge

Assistant News Editor

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...