Wellness Center expansion shifts workouts

With construction well underway, the expansion of the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center will be finalized by mid-February 2011. The current phase of construction will remain the same through the summer and into the first half of the fall semester.
As a result of overcrowding due to a dramatic increase in the student population, designs and renderings for a double-sized fitness room, two multi-purpose rooms and new restrooms began in December 2009.
The indoor fitness room will increase the facility’s size from 6,800 square feet to 10,000 square feet. The additional space will allow for about 50 new pieces of cardio equipment, new classes and state-of-the art light and sound systems. The temporary inconveniences that currently exist will only give way to a more comfortable and adaptable Wellness Center.
“We’ll be able to leave the weight training equipment and the weights in the fitness room until around Thanksgiving,” Director of the Wellness Center Norm Parsons said. “Everything will be usable besides the outdoor basketball courts.”
Center Court will serve as a main space for cardiovascular equipment like treadmills and elliptical machines, while the existing fitness room is slowly transformed into construction staging areas.
“Obviously there’s a little bit of an inconvenience because it’s not the same atmosphere,” said Alana Jones, a rising sophomore fitness assistant at the Wellness Center. “But you can still come get your workout and benefit from having the equipment available.”
The Wellness Center staff will continue to establish a close relationship with its patrons throughout the different stages of construction. E-mail messages, Facebook, Twitter and white boards found throughout the Wellness Center will assist in keeping gym users well-informed on the status of the expansion. The overall organization of the expansion process is designed to keep the majority of equipment available and group classes on schedule.
Incoming freshmen will also be updated on the process of construction. According to Parsons, the transition of new students during the orientation process this upcoming fall will be in small, tour-like groups. There will be no grand opening.
Parsons said the greatest challenges lie in managing the staff and guests through the inconvenience and as the construction process unravels.
“With all good things sometimes we have to take a half a step backwards in order to go two steps forward,” he said. “So for now, we will put up with the inconveniences.”
Jonathan Borge may be contacted at jborge@themiamihurricane.com.

With construction well underway, the expansion of the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center will be finalized by mid-February 2011. The current phase of construction will remain the same through the summer and into the first half of the fall semester.As a result of overcrowding due to a dramatic increase in the student population, designs and renderings for a double-sized fitness room, two multi-purpose rooms and new restrooms began in December 2009.The indoor fitness room will increase the facility’s size from 6,800 square feet to 10,000 square feet. The additional space will allow for about 50 new pieces of cardio equipment, new classes and state-of-the art light and sound systems. The temporary inconveniences that currently exist will only give way to a more comfortable and adaptable Wellness Center.“We’ll be able to leave the weight training equipment and the weights in the fitness room until around Thanksgiving,” Director of the Wellness Center Norm Parsons said. “Everything will be usable besides the outdoor basketball courts.”Center Court will serve as a main space for cardiovascular equipment like treadmills and elliptical machines, while the existing fitness room is slowly transformed into construction staging areas.“Obviously there’s a little bit of an inconvenience because it’s not the same atmosphere,” said Alana Jones, a rising sophomore fitness assistant at the Wellness Center. “But you can still come get your workout and benefit from having the equipment available.”The Wellness Center staff will continue to establish a close relationship with its patrons throughout the different stages of construction. E-mail messages, Facebook, Twitter and white boards found throughout the Wellness Center will assist in keeping gym users well-informed on the status of the expansion. The overall organization of the expansion process is designed to keep the majority of equipment available and group classes on schedule.Incoming freshmen will also be updated on the process of construction. According to Parsons, the transition of new students during the orientation process this upcoming fall will be in small, tour-like groups. There will be no grand opening.Parsons said the greatest challenges lie in managing the staff and guests through the inconvenience and as the construction process unravels.“With all good things sometimes we have to take a half a step backwards in order to go two steps forward,” he said. “So for now, we will put up with the inconveniences.”

Jonathan Borge

Assistant News Editor

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...