Three programs rank among nation’s best

With three of its programs ranked among the “Best in the Nation” in the annual Academic Analytics report, the University of Miami’s School of Education offers students a variety of innovative programs in education, psychology and health.
The school is made up of three departments: Teaching and Learning (TAL), Educational and Psychological Studies (EPS) and Exercise and Sport Science (ESS). Each area has a number of programs that are popular with new students.
A relatively new program that is getting a lot of interest from freshmen is Human and Social Development, the only undergraduate major offered by the EPS department. This program is available to incoming freshman and transfer students who are looking to work with people in community programs, universities, schools and governmental as well as non-governmental agencies.
“Students are enjoying this program because it deals with how to work with communities, corporations, individuals and families by applying psychology,” said Shawn A. Post, associate dean for undergraduate academic services.
Meanwhile, the Exercise Physiology program, offered by the ESS department, is the fastest-growing undergraduate major in the School of Education. This area of study, primarily selected by pre-medical and biology students, provides skills in the operation and use of some of the most sophisticated biomedical equipment.
“Exercise Physiology is very popular among students because it has a pre-med track,” Post said. “So freshmen and upcoming students who are interested in going on to medical school and who want to build real-life skills should consider this option. There are many new students that are not yet aware of the pre-med pathway this major offers.”
The Professional Training Option (PTO) is a pathway for non-education majors. Open to “any major” throughout the university, the PTO is an 18-credit minor that provides students with the ability to begin teaching with a three-year state teaching certificate that is given once the student passes the state’s content examination in the teaching field he or she chooses to focus on.
Along with the traditional majors in elementary and secondary education, the TAL department is starting a 12-credit minor in special education that gives Teaching and Education majors the opportunity to receive multiple certifications in both elementary and special education programs.
“In the past we had a major in the field, but due to a lack of enrollment it disappeared for the past two years,” Post said. “Now, we will have it again as an option, but this time as a minor program.”
The special education minor will be available to undergraduate students in Spring 2011.
Antonella Stelluto may be contacted at astelluto@themiamihurricane.com.

With three of its programs ranked among the “Best in the Nation” in the annual Academic Analytics report, the University of Miami’s School of Education offers students a variety of innovative programs in education, psychology and health.The school is made up of three departments: Teaching and Learning (TAL), Educational and Psychological Studies (EPS) and Exercise and Sport Science (ESS). Each area has a number of programs that are popular with new students.A relatively new program that is getting a lot of interest from freshmen is Human and Social Development, the only undergraduate major offered by the EPS department. This program is available to incoming freshman and transfer students who are looking to work with people in community programs, universities, schools and governmental as well as non-governmental agencies.“Students are enjoying this program because it deals with how to work with communities, corporations, individuals and families by applying psychology,” said Shawn A. Post, associate dean for undergraduate academic services.Meanwhile, the Exercise Physiology program, offered by the ESS department, is the fastest-growing undergraduate major in the School of Education. This area of study, primarily selected by pre-medical and biology students, provides skills in the operation and use of some of the most sophisticated biomedical equipment.“Exercise Physiology is very popular among students because it has a pre-med track,” Post said. “So freshmen and upcoming students who are interested in going on to medical school and who want to build real-life skills should consider this option. There are many new students that are not yet aware of the pre-med pathway this major offers.”The Professional Training Option (PTO) is a pathway for non-education majors. Open to “any major” throughout the university, the PTO is an 18-credit minor that provides students with the ability to begin teaching with a three-year state teaching certificate that is given once the student passes the state’s content examination in the teaching field he or she chooses to focus on.Along with the traditional majors in elementary and secondary education, the TAL department is starting a 12-credit minor in special education that gives Teaching and Education majors the opportunity to receive multiple certifications in both elementary and special education programs.“In the past we had a major in the field, but due to a lack of enrollment it disappeared for the past two years,” Post said. “Now, we will have it again as an option, but this time as a minor program.”The special education minor will be available to undergraduate students in Spring 2011.

Antonella Stelluto

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Three programs rank among nation’s best”

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...