Student Media at the University of Miami

WVUM

• Specialty music shows range from disco, to punk, to 60’s music, to hard core, even movie soundtrack and scores
  • Hourly newscasts and news shows
  • Sports talk shows and live broadcasts from games
  • Completely student-run and volunteer
  • Positions available in underwriting (commercial sales), promotion, music, sports, news, production and engineering
  • Have sponsored events like Ultra Music Festival, open mic nights and biweekly university center patio concerts
  • Giveaways often include tickets to concerts and local events, even cars
  • The station has received awards for “Best FM Station in Miami” by the Miami New Times in 2006 and 2007, and “People’s Choice for Best FM Station in Miami” in 2009
  • Tune in at 90.5 FM or listen online at wvum.org, where applications can also be found

“Try it all… Learn what your specific niche is,” D’Andrea said. “We have a real world platform to experiment and express our voice to show the world what the future of thought and creativity is.”

UMTV

• Student volunteers produce, film, edit and star in programs
  • Entertainment:
    • “Off the Wire”: Sketch comedy program filmed before a live studio audience
    • “U-Tunes”: UM’s own “American Idol”
    • “The Slate”: Movie news and reviews
  • News:
    • “Newsvision”: Bi-weekly newscast
    • “UniMiami”: Spanish language news and entertainment show
  • Sports:
    • “Sportsdesk”: A weekly show featuring both national and campus sports
  • Other:
    • “We the Students”: Online, interactive debate show
  • Has won awards such as best college sports program for “SportsDesk” and best comedy program for “Off the Wire” from the National Broadcast Society. “NewsVision” was also recently nominated for a 2009 Suncoast Regional Emmy
  • Broadcast on Comcast channel 96 in Coral Gables and streamed live on umtv.miami.edu
  • There is a general meeting at the beginning of each semester where students can watch a presentation from each program and sign up to work with individual programs

“It’s great to work with the people you like day in, day out, because they are people who share the same values and the same enthusiasm about what you’re putting on the air,” said Alejandro Fonseca, executive producer for “Newsvision” and the “Slate.”

• UM’s student-run newspaper since 1929
  • Sections:
    • News
    • Sports
    • EDGE, for arts and culture
    • Opinion
    • Dear V, where students can get advice from the sassy “V”
  • Comes out bi-weekly and can be found in orange and red newsstands around campus
  • Student employees can write, edit, design, shoot photography and video, or sell advertisements
  • Check it out at www.themiamihurricane.com and pass by University Center, Room 221 for applications

“There’s nothing more interesting than deadline night with your friends,” editor-in-chief Christina De Nicola said. “Where else do you get the chance to write articles, take photos, shoot videos and design pages?”

Distraction Magazine

• Was created in 2007 from what was originally a class project
  • Aims to draw students out of the everyday monotony of classes and schoolwork, and get them more engaged with the campus community, hence the name, “Distraction”
  • Explores campus lifestyle from athlete profiles and stories on UM history and traditions to Miami’s hottest restaurants and student-inspired fashion
  • Distraction is a Four Star/Mark of Distinction All-American Associated Collegiate Press winner and a Gold Medalist from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association
  • Student volunteer organization for those interested in writing, editing, photography, design and
  • To get involved with Distraction, students should send an e-mail to h.carney1@umiami.edu or attend one of the information sessions held at the beginning of the semester.

Distraction gives students a chance to better learn about one another, to understand and explore the quirky and stimulating Miami environment,” Carney said. “Plus, it’s an entertaining magazine, easy to throw in a bag and read at the pool, beach or in between classes. It gives students a break from nauseating textbooks.”

The Ibis

• Sections: Lifestyles, Academics, Sports, Greeks, Organizations, People
  • Writers, photographers, designers and editors are paid for their work
  • Yearbooks are free and are given away in the Fall on the Rock
  • Professional photographers come onto campus to take portraits of underclassmen, seniors and graduate students
  • Awards won include a Gold Crown award from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association for the 2009 Ibis and a nomination as a Pacemaker finalist from the Associated Collegiate Press
  • To get involved, e-mail IbisEditor@gmail.com or stop by University Center, Room 229

“Working for the Ibis is a one-of-a-kind experience, said DeHayes. “I love that a group of passionate students can come together to create a 512-page book from essentially nothing; I love that I learn about every facet of campus-life through reporting on hundreds of topics; and I love holding the final product, watching students point to themselves among the pages, and thinking to myself, ‘Yes, I did that!’”

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer