‘STAY’: UMPD’s new safety emergency plan

The next time the Coral Gables campus is flooded with red and blue lights, it won’t just be up to the police to keep students safe.
In a statement released on Feb. 22 to the university community, the University of Miami Police Department (UMPD) issued a new policy regarding on-campus incidents that reinforces personal responsibility and safety during emergency incidents.
The new STAY policy is designed to provide direction to students, faculty and employees should an emergency occur. The name of the new policy is a mnemonic device that helps one remember the instructions: Secure your area, take cover, advise and you must take measures to protect your safety.
“What we had here in place, it was a model that followed high schools, middle schools and elementary schools, which is ‘lockdown’,” UMPD Chief David Rivero said.
According to Rivero, the university’s former lockdown policy was derived from the response to the 1999 Columbine High School massacre.
“[The lockdown] model existed in our emergency plans and in reality we can’t meet that criteria because UM is such an open campus,” Rivero said. “There are many buildings that we can’t even lock the doors to.”
Part of the challenges the university faces during emergency situations is the ability to lock all buildings and keep people inside. According to Rivero, only about 50 percent of the buildings on campus can be locked remotely through Cane Card access.
To raise awareness, UMPD will incorporate the STAY policy into its presentations during freshman and transfer orientation. The university’s human resources department will also sponsor programs to raise awareness for employees and faculty.
“If you’re sitting in a little cubicle by yourself, no one is going to lock the door for you,” Rivero said. “You’re going to have to take care of yourself. There’s a perception that somehow people are going to come, lock doors and keep you safe. It’s impossible to do that here.”
One student familiar with the policy agrees that UMPD faces unique challenges in a location like South Florida.
“You can’t be everywhere,” rising junior Ryan Zangeneh said. “The text message and e-mail service helped last semester during the incidents. There’s only so much you can do because Miami is so open.”
Ramon Galiana may be contacted at rgaliana@themiamihurricane.com.

The next time the Coral Gables campus is flooded with red and blue lights, it won’t just be up to the police to keep students safe.In a statement released on Feb. 22 to the university community, the University of Miami Police Department (UMPD) issued a new policy regarding on-campus incidents that reinforces personal responsibility and safety during emergency incidents.The new STAY policy is designed to provide direction to students, faculty and employees should an emergency occur. The name of the new policy is a mnemonic device that helps one remember the instructions: Secure your area, take cover, advise and you must take measures to protect your safety.“What we had here in place, it was a model that followed high schools, middle schools and elementary schools, which is ‘lockdown’,” UMPD Chief David Rivero said.According to Rivero, the university’s former lockdown policy was derived from the response to the 1999 Columbine High School massacre.“[The lockdown] model existed in our emergency plans and in reality we can’t meet that criteria because UM is such an open campus,” Rivero said. “There are many buildings that we can’t even lock the doors to.”Part of the challenges the university faces during emergency situations is the ability to lock all buildings and keep people inside. According to Rivero, only about 50 percent of the buildings on campus can be locked remotely through Cane Card access.To raise awareness, UMPD will incorporate the STAY policy into its presentations during freshman and transfer orientation. The university’s human resources department will also sponsor programs to raise awareness for employees and faculty.“If you’re sitting in a little cubicle by yourself, no one is going to lock the door for you,” Rivero said. “You’re going to have to take care of yourself. There’s a perception that somehow people are going to come, lock doors and keep you safe. It’s impossible to do that here.”One student familiar with the policy agrees that UMPD faces unique challenges in a location like South Florida.“You can’t be everywhere,” rising junior Ryan Zangeneh said. “The text message and e-mail service helped last semester during the incidents. There’s only so much you can do because Miami is so open.”

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...