SportsFest’s celebrated rivalry an honored Hurricane tradition

At a University of Miami without SportsFest, there was an annual competition called “Budweiser Super Sports” where students could compete in sports and athletic events for gifts and prizes.
Student organizations and individuals would register teams and, according to old yearbooks, the event was fairly popular.
Administrators Norm Parsons and Rhonda DuBord decided to make this sports competition a bigger part of student life, however, and so began the legacy of SportsFest.
When Hecht and Stanford were built in 1968 they were named ‘68 and 960, the former for its construction year and the latter for how many beds it held.
In the 1985-86 academic year, the residential colleges changed their names and ‘68 became known as “The Honors Residential College” and 960 known as “The Residential College.”
SportsFest was started in the spring of 1986 as a challenge between the two almost identical counterparts. These two teams, over time, would come to be named Stanford and Hecht.
Vice President for Student Affairs, Dr. Patricia Whitely, was a residence coordinator in the Residential College (‘68, Stanford) the year SportsFest began.
After that year, the program added Eaton as a competitor and later Mahoney, followed by Pearson, to round out a five-team, school-wide event by the spring of 1989.
Today, there is no bigger student event on campus than SportsFest, boasting over 2,300 participants.
“Nobody could have predicted the success of SportsFest, but the residential college system is one of the reasons that it has been so successful,” Whitely said. “It is a great opportunity for students to build community.”
Parsons and DuBord are largely responsible for the success that the event has had over the years and are still part of the team that organizes the event.
“Participation is essential; with this scoring system, any residential college can win,” Parsons said.
Tom Soria is the assistant director of intramurals and special events and the logistical mastermind behind the competition.
Organizing an event with so many activities, participants and referees may seem like a mountain of a task, but according to Soria it’s “like seeing a masterpiece at work, almost like a symphony.”

Calvin Cestari may be contacted at cmcestari@themiamihurricane.com.

Calvin Cestari

Contributing Sports Writer

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...