SportsFest’s celebrated rivalry an honored Hurricane tradition

At a University of Miami without SportsFest, there was an annual competition called “Budweiser Super Sports” where students could compete in sports and athletic events for gifts and prizes.
Student organizations and individuals would register teams and, according to old yearbooks, the event was fairly popular.
Administrators Norm Parsons and Rhonda DuBord decided to make this sports competition a bigger part of student life, however, and so began the legacy of SportsFest.
When Hecht and Stanford were built in 1968 they were named ‘68 and 960, the former for its construction year and the latter for how many beds it held.
In the 1985-86 academic year, the residential colleges changed their names and ‘68 became known as “The Honors Residential College” and 960 known as “The Residential College.”
SportsFest was started in the spring of 1986 as a challenge between the two almost identical counterparts. These two teams, over time, would come to be named Stanford and Hecht.
Vice President for Student Affairs, Dr. Patricia Whitely, was a residence coordinator in the Residential College (‘68, Stanford) the year SportsFest began.
After that year, the program added Eaton as a competitor and later Mahoney, followed by Pearson, to round out a five-team, school-wide event by the spring of 1989.
Today, there is no bigger student event on campus than SportsFest, boasting over 2,300 participants.
“Nobody could have predicted the success of SportsFest, but the residential college system is one of the reasons that it has been so successful,” Whitely said. “It is a great opportunity for students to build community.”
Parsons and DuBord are largely responsible for the success that the event has had over the years and are still part of the team that organizes the event.
“Participation is essential; with this scoring system, any residential college can win,” Parsons said.
Tom Soria is the assistant director of intramurals and special events and the logistical mastermind behind the competition.
Organizing an event with so many activities, participants and referees may seem like a mountain of a task, but according to Soria it’s “like seeing a masterpiece at work, almost like a symphony.”

Calvin Cestari may be contacted at cmcestari@themiamihurricane.com.

Calvin Cestari

Contributing Sports Writer

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...