SportsFest’s celebrated rivalry an honored Hurricane tradition

At a University of Miami without SportsFest, there was an annual competition called “Budweiser Super Sports” where students could compete in sports and athletic events for gifts and prizes.
Student organizations and individuals would register teams and, according to old yearbooks, the event was fairly popular.
Administrators Norm Parsons and Rhonda DuBord decided to make this sports competition a bigger part of student life, however, and so began the legacy of SportsFest.
When Hecht and Stanford were built in 1968 they were named ‘68 and 960, the former for its construction year and the latter for how many beds it held.
In the 1985-86 academic year, the residential colleges changed their names and ‘68 became known as “The Honors Residential College” and 960 known as “The Residential College.”
SportsFest was started in the spring of 1986 as a challenge between the two almost identical counterparts. These two teams, over time, would come to be named Stanford and Hecht.
Vice President for Student Affairs, Dr. Patricia Whitely, was a residence coordinator in the Residential College (‘68, Stanford) the year SportsFest began.
After that year, the program added Eaton as a competitor and later Mahoney, followed by Pearson, to round out a five-team, school-wide event by the spring of 1989.
Today, there is no bigger student event on campus than SportsFest, boasting over 2,300 participants.
“Nobody could have predicted the success of SportsFest, but the residential college system is one of the reasons that it has been so successful,” Whitely said. “It is a great opportunity for students to build community.”
Parsons and DuBord are largely responsible for the success that the event has had over the years and are still part of the team that organizes the event.
“Participation is essential; with this scoring system, any residential college can win,” Parsons said.
Tom Soria is the assistant director of intramurals and special events and the logistical mastermind behind the competition.
Organizing an event with so many activities, participants and referees may seem like a mountain of a task, but according to Soria it’s “like seeing a masterpiece at work, almost like a symphony.”

Calvin Cestari may be contacted at cmcestari@themiamihurricane.com.

Calvin Cestari

Contributing Sports Writer

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...