Professional schools on rise

Despite economic pressures to cut funding and other challenges facing the university, two of UM’s professional schools and one program continue to improve.
According to the 2011 edition of U.S. News and World Report, the University of Miami’s professional schools have risen again in national rankings.
The UM Miller School of Medicine, formerly ranked No. 51, is now placed at No. 47, according to the news magazine. Like UM’s undergraduate ranking, the medical school can now boast a top-50 spot.
“This prestigious ranking from U.S. News is further evidence of the high caliber of our students, our education and the research being conducted at the Miller School of Medicine,” said Pascal J. Goldschmidt, dean of the medical school, according to UM Media Relations. “[It] reflects our deep commitment to educating the medical leaders of tomorrow, while making the discoveries that will help patients in South Florida and around the world.”
The Miller School’s physical therapy program is ranked seventh in the nation. The medical school rankings were based on the submissions of 120 schools.
Also, the School of Law is now ranked No. 60, rising 11 positions from its previous rank.
Of particular note is the ranking of its tax law program, which broke into the top of the rankings at No. 5.
“I am pleased to see this public acknowledgement that the UM School of Law is a place on the move,” said Patricia White, dean of the law school, according to UM Media Relations.
Additionally, the clinical psychology graduate program of the College of Arts and Sciences ranked No. 25 out of a total of 210 schools.
In 2010, the program received 500 applications to fill 15 open slots. The Department of Psychology is overall ranked No. 60 of 241 schools.
The 2011 edition of U.S. News and World Report was published in May and is now publicly available.
Ramon Galiana may be contacted at rgaliana@themiamihurriane.com.

Despite economic pressures to cut funding and other challenges facing the university, two of UM’s professional schools and one program continue to improve.According to the 2011 edition of U.S. News and World Report, the University of Miami’s professional schools have risen again in national rankings.The UM Miller School of Medicine, formerly ranked No. 51, is now placed at No. 47, according to the news magazine. Like UM’s undergraduate ranking, the medical school can now boast a top-50 spot.“This prestigious ranking from U.S. News is further evidence of the high caliber of our students, our education and the research being conducted at the Miller School of Medicine,” said Pascal J. Goldschmidt, dean of the medical school, according to UM Media Relations. “[It] reflects our deep commitment to educating the medical leaders of tomorrow, while making the discoveries that will help patients in South Florida and around the world.”The Miller School’s physical therapy program is ranked seventh in the nation. The medical school rankings were based on the submissions of 120 schools.Also, the School of Law is now ranked No. 60, rising 11 positions from its previous rank. Of particular note is the ranking of its tax law program, which broke into the top of the rankings at No. 5. “I am pleased to see this public acknowledgement that the UM School of Law is a place on the move,” said Patricia White, dean of the law school, according to UM Media Relations.Additionally, the clinical psychology graduate program of the College of Arts and Sciences ranked No. 25 out of a total of 210 schools. In 2010, the program received 500 applications to fill 15 open slots. The Department of Psychology is overall ranked No. 60 of 241 schools.The 2011 edition of U.S. News and World Report was published in May and is now publicly available.

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

The Hurricanes and Colonials square off at noon Saturday in Washington, D.C. ...

University of Miami men's basketball player Chris Stowell is an active member in the Hurricanes ...

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...