Office of Disability Services lends a hand

Thierry Djemmo, a rising senior business major, is an A student who always takes notes in his classes.
In his Finance 320 last semester, however, he was not just taking notes for himself, but also for another student in the class— someone he didn’t even know.
Djemmo is one of about 500 students across the university who are volunteer note-takers for students with disabilities, who qualify for the accommodation under federal law. Once class is over, Djemmo e-mails a copy to the Office of Disability Services (ODS).
“It’s good to know that someone is actually using your notes, that it’s actually helping someone else,” he said. “It gives you incentive to look over your notes since you need to proof-read them before you send them out.”
One participant, a rising senior who agreed to speak on condition of anonymity, said she has Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), a medically recognized disability.
“It’s often hard for me to listen and take notes at the same time,” she said. “If I’m really focused on writing everything down perfectly, then I end up missing what the professor says next.”
ODS exists under the mandate of the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. The laws require that post-secondary institutions supply appropriate aids and services to students with disabilities in order to give them an equal opportunity in the educational process.
Note-taking is one of several services ODS offers. A note-taker is responsible for attending every class in which they have signed up to be a note-taker. They are expected to take comprehensive notes on lectures, class discussions and any other communication.
If they have at least a 3.0 GPA, they are recruited from the classes in which they are currently enrolled.
“Everything is confidential. The note-taker does not know which student or students in the class receive their notes,” said Dr. Mykel Jane Mangrum Billups, assistant dean at the Academic Resource Center and ODS director. “This is done for the protection of the student with a disability and the note-taker,”
The aids and services are free to students, who must provide documentation of their disability to qualify for help.
“Students must register with ODS and be granted note-taking as an official accommodation,” Billups said. “Then students must request notes for each class every semester and abide by the policies and procedures for that accommodation.
“This requires students to take their own notes and attend class. Students sitting in class without taking notes or not attending class jeopardize their accommodation.”
Potential note-takers are identified through a database. ODS usually sends e-mails to top students who are in the specific courses that need a note-taker. It is up to the student to volunteer.
Note-takers are rewarded with 60 hours of community service, which can be used for any UM club, sorority/fraternity or even outside of UM with the certificate from the ODS office. In addition, note-takers are given a small gift valued at $25 from the UM bookstore.
“It is an easy and impressive addition to any resume,” Billups said.
The Academic Resource Center
  • The ARC at the University of Miami offers a multitude of resources for every constituent of the UM community: students, parents, faculty, staff and administrators. Our goal is to provide resources to help manage success and advance potential.
  • Services: Peer Tutoring; UMX, “The Ultimate UM Experience”; Academic Resource Workshops; Disability Resources; Faculty Support; Resources for Parents.
  • HOURS: Monday, 8:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.; Tuesday, 8:30 a.m. – 7 p.m.; Wednesday, 8:30 a.m. – 7 p.m.; Thursday, 8:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.; Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Rebecca Zimmer may be contacted at rzimmer@themiamihurricane.com.

Rebecca Zimmer

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...