Keeping campus cool and stylish

Sean Goldfaden always wanted to start his own business, but he just couldn’t find the right idea.
First, it was “Fedora Stora,” an online fedora boutique offering a massive selection. It was the perfect idea, except that sizing became too complicated.
Looking around for his next big idea, Goldfaden found it right before his eyes.
That is when Wayfarer World was born.
“I love the sunglasses because they are bright and fun,” Goldfaden said. “I wanted to offer unlimited color combinations so everyone could get the exact pair they want.”
The concept is simple: a made-to-order, instant creation of low-cost, customizable Wayfarer-style sunglasses.
Goldfaden, a rising senior advertising and psychology major and a brother of Sigma Alpha Mu fraternity, began to formulate his concept last summer, as well as looking for ways he could incorporate online marketing.
“I’ve been really involved with social media and internet marketing for a while and I decided I could take what I know about social media and apply it to my business,” Goldfaden said.
He was still in the first stages of forming Wayfarer World in November 2009 when he heard about the Elevator Pitch Competition hosted by UM’s Launch Pad and OfficeMax.
With a $25,000 grand prize and judging criteria that included enthusiasm and charisma, it was an opportunity Goldfaden couldn’t pass up.
He entered and won.
“I was enthusiastic and energetic,” Goldfaden said. “The success of this business is getting people excited about their colors and making their own sunglasses.”
With the funding he needed, Goldfaden’s Wayfarer World took off.
First, he ordered wayfarer style frames and earpieces of all different types and colors, which Goldfaden individually assembles and pairs. Next, he established a Facebook fan page that 1,675 members have joined. Finally, he made a commitment to his mother’s breast cancer foundation through philanthropy.
“My mom is an eight-year survivor of breast cancer so I’ve always wanted to find a way I could donate back,” Goldfaden said. “All proceeds from the sales of pink sunglasses go to The Karen Schweibish Breast Cancer Foundation.”
Wayfarer World had its official launch mid-April in the UC Breezeway, with Goldfaden and his girlfriend, recent graduate Emily Dash, manning a table covered in colorful sunglass combinations.
Brothers from Sigma Alpha Mu also stepped in to help Goldfaden assemble custom pairs and collect money from eager student customers. Each pair costs $10.
“Business is going incredible,” Goldfaden said. “In one week, we sold over 350 sunglasses.”
After a successful launch, Goldfaden has returned to collecting orders via the Wayfarer World Facebook Fan page.
“I’m trying to expand the business to other campuses,” he said. “It wasn’t until after the campus launch, when I watched over 300 people buy sunglasses and how excited they were, that I realized this is a really big thing on campus right now and I’m glad I got started early.”
One student who purchased wayfarer-style sunglasses thought his item was great.
“I think they’re awesome to be honest, what a fantastic idea,” rising senior Camron Ghorbi said. “I think they’re the only cool vendors I’ve seen in the breezeway in my entire three years here.”
With the support of his friends, girlfriend, fraternity and UM students, Goldfaden will continue to expand Wayfarer World and future entrepreneurial ventures.
“They’re really excited that I started my own business and it’s going well,” Goldfaden said. “Now they just want me to finish school and graduate on time.”

Nina Markowitz may be contacted at nmarkowitz@themiamihurricane.com

Nina Markowitz

Sophomore Bruce Brown announced Thursday that he has declared for the 2018 NBA Draft, the University ...

Lots of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday, with the second spring practice session set for Thursday mo ...

The battle for the University of Miami quarterback job began in earnest with the start of spring pra ...

A six-pack of UM notes from the first day of spring football on Tuesday: • UM’s first-team offensive ...

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

The Kislak Center opens, aims to advance new forms of scholarship and build bridges across the Unive ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s Miami-spiced book talk spotlighted the One Book, One U initiative. ...

As part of the “It’s On Us” initiative, the former vice president urged the UM community to help com ...

Haitian-born Henri Ford’s incredible journey to the deanship of the Miller School of Medicine. ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

The University of Miami volleyball team hosts Florida Atlantic University at the James L. Knight Spo ...

The University of Miami Hurricane Club is excited to announce the official 2018 Building Champions S ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...

In search of its fourth series win of the spring, the Miami Hurricanes host No. 24 Virginia from Mar ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek to continue its perfect record at home Frid ...