Healthy vending machines the new trend

Healthy vending machines have revolutionized snacking. Chips and cookies are no longer the only option.
Now, anyone can choose from a variety of fruits or vegetables.
Jan. 29 marked the unveiling of the new healthy vending machines on campus.
“I think it’s a good thing,” said Brody Shulman, then a second-year law student. “I have seen tons of students walking around with fruit, and the great thing is that it’s about half the price compared to Starbucks.”
The innovative new trend makes it easier and more convenient to eat healthy. Busy students may quickly stop by these vending machines on their way to classes.
All the fruits and vegetables are replaced three times a week in order to guarantee freshness.
“I’ve worked for UM for 15 years, and this is the first time I’ve ever seen something like this,” Vice President of Auxillary Services Mel Tenen said.
There are currently five machines: Two contain fresh fruit and two contain healthy snacks like granola bars, 100-calorie snacks and other low-calorie options.
The Ashe Building houses a fresh fruit machine and a healthy snack machine, the law school offers a fresh fruit machine and the University Center and the Memorial Building have healthy snack machines.
“Our plans are to expand the program, based on student input and sales, to several more locations,” Tenen said.
All of the selections range from $1 to $2.25.
“It is consistent with our wellness efforts,” President Donna E. Shalala said. “I think the students will appreciate it.”
The healthy snack machines will replace duplicates of regular snack machines in some areas, and in other areas they will just be an addition.
Students like Brad Fishburger do not like the idea of the new machines.
“I don’t buy pre-packaged fruit,” he said.
The fresh fruit machine in the law school was the first machine to be available and all of the selections have generated considerable sales.
“A combination of feedback from students and the availability of these brand new machines are what prompted us to get them,” Tenen said. “These are the first of many.”
By the summer, the university plans to make all of the snack and drink machines, including the new healthy machines, accessible by credit and debit cards.
At the moment vending machines across campus have limited credit and debit availability.
Rebecca Zimmer may be contacted at rzimmer@themiamihurricane.com.

Healthy vending machines have revolutionized snacking. Chips and cookies are no longer the only option. Now, anyone can choose from a variety of fruits or vegetables.Jan. 29 marked the unveiling of the new healthy vending machines on campus.“I think it’s a good thing,” said Brody Shulman, then a second-year law student. “I have seen tons of students walking around with fruit, and the great thing is that it’s about half the price compared to Starbucks.”The innovative new trend makes it easier and more convenient to eat healthy. Busy students may quickly stop by these vending machines on their way to classes.All the fruits and vegetables are replaced three times a week in order to guarantee freshness.“I’ve worked for UM for 15 years, and this is the first time I’ve ever seen something like this,” Vice President of Auxillary Services Mel Tenen said.There are currently five machines: Two contain fresh fruit and two contain healthy snacks like granola bars, 100-calorie snacks and other low-calorie options.The Ashe Building houses a fresh fruit machine and a healthy snack machine, the law school offers a fresh fruit machine and the University Center and the Memorial Building have healthy snack machines.“Our plans are to expand the program, based on student input and sales, to several more locations,” Tenen said.All of the selections range from $1 to $2.25.“It is consistent with our wellness efforts,” President Donna E. Shalala said. “I think the students will appreciate it.”The healthy snack machines will replace duplicates of regular snack machines in some areas, and in other areas they will just be an addition.Students like Brad Fishburger do not like the idea of the new machines.“I don’t buy pre-packaged fruit,” he said.The fresh fruit machine in the law school was the first machine to be available and all of the selections have generated considerable sales.“A combination of feedback from students and the availability of these brand new machines are what prompted us to get them,” Tenen said. “These are the first of many.”

By the summer, the university plans to make all of the snack and drink machines, including the new healthy machines, accessible by credit and debit cards. At the moment vending machines across campus have limited credit and debit availability.

Rebecca Zimmer